Police Raids Taking Down Social Media Users

trichomechaser

Guys, things are getting a bit scary out there. And it's a topic that we, everyone in the cannabis community needs to try and resolve. In the past 48 hours the police have raided several Western Cape based growers, taking plants and gear and charging for dealing. I can't speak to the reality of these individuals actions, but some do claim to just be growers. And regardless, it is a situation that everyone should be made aware of.

These raids have been on active members on the Cannabis Club SA group on Facebook, which a little scary since I've been pretty active as a personal use grower.

It should be noted that the charges given have in most cases not been supported with evidence upon raids, yet they still arrest. Again, it's important to note that I can't speak to whether these individuals deal or not, but there have been some personal use growers who have been raided recently. The police have no incentive to stop at this point, they know the case will be thrown out but it doesn't matter because by the time that happens they already have the plants and gear.

Some kind of accountability needs to be pushed on these cops that raid private use growers.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 2

You know what... This community has a voice.... Same as the red berrets... Ours are a bit louder in the int community..

"They will take our plants and equipment...... But "not our freedom" as private users and educators..":-trip

I know nothing and is a amater at this but I know where my passion is... My world.. your world... us all's world.

Educate the officer... It stays the arresting officer's prerogative...?

Not??

Edited by Stinger96

At this point forums are probably the safest place to be. It is a lot easier for a police officer to see the name of someone on Facebook and then to just go from there. It would be a lot more work for them to get information from a forum where they need to serve court papers to the servers and then retrieve user information from the database. I think as long as one doesn't reveal personal information here it should be okay.

The problem is one of two parts, corruption and ignorance. There are some officers who haven't read the directive from the commissioner which states that one should only arrest when one is certain that the individual is dealing, and if there is uncertainty, no arrest should take place. And instead, a summons be provided.

The arrests are taking place largely outside of the law and only because they know that nothing will happen to them. 

Other officers are also aware of the fact that they don't get held accountable, so they just blatantly use the method to receive bribes. There was a case recently where a guy on the FB group was arrested with under 5g on him, the police apparently said they'd let him go for R8000 - otherwise the cell. They know the case will be thrown out, but no skin off their back.

I'd like to see these counsels who are now formed to 'fight for legalization' actually stepping in and trying to mediate in this. There needs to be action from all these groups in going directly to stations and going directly to those in the higher ups and getting them to understand the officers below them aren't following their directives. And there needs to be more media coverage over false arrests, instead of just the anti-weed PR that police do when they get News24 and others to post the bust stories with photos from the scene.

• Like 2

Does appear external issues are at play possibly. Though hard to make an accurate gauge as there are hawks members on the group who have told others about their presence there in a threatening way from what I heard.

In Nantie's case, the constable said he doesn't care what the court ruling said, and that he would continue to arrest. They've charged him with a crime that isn't a crime, possession of cannabis plants - no signs of dealing.

The fact that these guys are openly stating they don't care about the court judgement is the main problem and something we as the people need to make sure they face consequences on.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, trichomechaser said:

At this point forums are probably the safest place to be. It is a lot easier for a police officer to see the name of someone on Facebook and then to just go from there. It would be a lot more work for them to get information from a forum where they need to serve court papers to the servers and then retrieve user information from the database. I think as long as one doesn't reveal personal information here it should be okay.

The problem is one of two parts, corruption and ignorance. There are some officers who haven't read the directive from the commissioner which states that one should only arrest when one is certain that the individual is dealing, and if there is uncertainty, no arrest should take place. And instead, a summons be provided.

The arrests are taking place largely outside of the law and only because they know that nothing will happen to them. 

Other officers are also aware of the fact that they don't get held accountable, so they just blatantly use the method to receive bribes. There was a case recently where a guy on the FB group was arrested with under 5g on him, the police apparently said they'd let him go for R8000 - otherwise the cell. They know the case will be thrown out, but no skin off their back.

I'd like to see these counsels who are now formed to 'fight for legalization' actually stepping in and trying to mediate in this. There needs to be action from all these groups in going directly to stations and going directly to those in the higher ups and getting them to understand the officers below them aren't following their directives. And there needs to be more media coverage over false arrests, instead of just the anti-weed PR that police do when they get News24 and others to post the bust stories with photos from the scene.

News24 is fake news