DIY DWC for beginners

Trailblazer420

So it's been about 2 years since my last dwc grow due to space limitations etc etc. Sold off my previous kit and decided its organic from here onwards... Soil growing is not my favorite way of growing due to consistent watering, soil bugs etc, so I decided to build a quick small dwc setup. I should be able to flower them in the same bucket if I switch to flowering early enough.

Shopping list:

Piece of Masonite (hard board): R36 (You can get about 6 lids out of this though)

Bucket: R30

Air stones and tubing: R46 + R6 for additional stone

Dual outlet air pump: R100

Pebbles: R28

Pots will simply be modified with a Stanley knife to allow root exits.

Total cost: R246 + 2g Sativa and about 45 mins.

Now to mod the pots, rinse the pebbles and get the clones in. 3734df181e649b880adc9e552f398a33.jpg08e44a96b09b787552e4e44c12bdaad6.jpgf38a7e7f29eef51f33a9196fe4d9772f.jpgd7b0a988f09a12839c59dafc655b9a4c.jpg4379f85d3a28da853332ac6d8c06a3f4.jpg5a9a4b1023b742d21dd3e0bd8a9d1461.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I did a dead simple hole in bucket lid and drill holes in pot. Didn't even bother with hydroton. Just used perlite and rinsed lekker.
Stay away from clear tubing.light creates mould.
My little ornamental chilli running happy as a pig in poo.
Never been ph'd, straight out the tap. running on a mix of hydro nutes I had in a box and didn't want to chuck.
c1a1e85ae7b2df5d5f4cf2ce241e467a.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This has made me interested in trying a DWC outdoor grow for some veggies / herbs. Thanks guys. @McB, will look at doing something simple like you have. Seems easy enough, just need to read up the what, when and how of nutrients...

side note:  I couldn't find this thread when searching "DWC" on the site - had to go back in my browser history (not sure how to fine tune the search to pick that up or is it a site issue?)

Last addition to the tent. Think ill buy a seperate tent for flowering. 6151d098362b337eeedc50b28290a6b7.jpg

That's a pretty decent idea. Shit dude... Clever.
I have a pretty old tent with plenty holes patched. Wish order here I come

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

I cut out a rectangular shape out of the pot cutout for the lid. Then cut a hole in the center where the temp/hum sensor clips into,which I used as a template to cut the hole in the tent. So... Meter through tent and clips into Diy pvc bracket, giving it soen stability.

b34bf9744c25de88492ac94a3e97e76f.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trailblazer420 said:

There we go, project cost R50 more than expected.. But I feel a lot more comfortable with this setup d7cbe8a0d7932f184038dbec72c3ecc4.jpg42858f5da9db73c5677961c9dfc4d9a2.jpg

Yes man looking good.... One tip I have experienced with this setup is that those pots are to small, the plant will keep on falling when bigger. Get the 12' pots.

• 5 months later...
@Za Weed Lover no reason you cannot use it for a full grow.
When you switch to flower, you change your res and your nutes and obviously light cycle.

You will certainly want to invest in a good quality PH meter and have a good EC / PPM meter too.
Alright thanks, what does EC mean. And why PPM so important

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

Alright thanks, what does EC mean. And why PPM so important

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

EC is Electrical Conductivity and is an alternative way to measure nutrient concentration in your res water. PPM is the same thing in theory, just a different value.

Think of it as meters and inches, they both measure just in different values.

• Like 1