Nute Burn?

SpicedGold

Hi everyone,

I have a small set up indoors with a 400w MH. My plant has been doing very well until this morning.  I changed to a bigger pot and mixed up some soil like normal except I was arguing with my husband at the time about why I am mixing the soil on the ground and not in the pot :classic_wacko:. I think during that I may have added too much of something.

This morning her bottom lower leaves are slightly yellow and the bottom leaf tip dried up and went a bit crispy.  I also noticed that the leaf above that also started to curl upwards and started to also go crispy but more white than browning. I suspect nute burn from over mixing. so in a flat panic before work this morning I took out about 70% of the soil I put in and put straight organic potting soil that I normal use. I didn't give any water this morning as the soil I took out was a little damp.  I have attached pictures although the light was so bright you cant see the yellowing that much but you can see the nute burn?  I do not have anything to test my PH thanks to my dog that ate it on Saturday. Any suggestions on what to do? I am hoping she will recover before I get home.  I also FIMMED on Saturday and hope its not going to stress her out too much.  I am also not sure if I did the Fimming correctly as I normally just top.

I really don't want anything to happen to her. She is a Fem Hulkberry too 😞 

20190225_071152.jpg

20190225_071150.jpg

20190225_071103.jpg

Thanks Joe, made me feel a bit better! The pot she was in was much smaller but was still ok for a few days, just wanted to do it sooner than later. I was kinda on the transplant shock but was not sure if the soil mix was wrong cause I wasn't really concentrating when I did it.  I will check up on her as soon as I get home.  

I did give her some nutes 2 days ago but the usual amount and watered down much more than the recommended dose.  After the transplant I didn't give her water as the mix was not dry.

I transplanted her yesterday afternoon and when I took her out the old pot a few tiny bits of roots got left behind but not a lot at all. I'm hoping its from that and she will be fine. My husband argued with me and said it was from Fimming the top on Saturday but she was fine all day Sunday. Do you think the FIM looks fine? I normally top but was told Fimming is less stressful but I doubt that. Stress is stress

Broken roots will do that. Fimming won't do that to a plant. I've never fimmed before so I can't give opinion on that.

Even though the soil you transplanted to is moist it doesn't mean that you don't have to water. You need to wet the soil to make sure that the roots is in proper contact with the soil

Not from here or there
Not from now or then

Good point thanks Joe. I also didn't give water cause I also ran out of rain water. Getting some mineral water when I go home. I have normally never watered when I have transplanted but will do so in the future.  Yesterday was just a disaster. I should have been more careful. I normally and outdoors grower so I haven't really experienced all these indoor problems one can have.  Only my second grow. First was bag seed which turned out surprisingly well.  This time is a Feminized Hulkberry so I kinda need to be more careful.

Meaning the plant looks good. Leaf is green. Stems are green. She looks healthy but I am afraid that she will not stay like this....I say this because I can see lots of wood bark in the soil. Wood bark in its current state is crap, it needs to break down and decompose before adding value to the soil. At the moment its just acting as a medium to hold roots together. There are better options out there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosed said:

Whats your soil composition Smelly Joe?

I'm not sure what brand soil it is as I got it from my buddy that also grows. It is not that hard bark that doesn't decompose fast enough. I did mix in some lime, bonemeal and some other pellets I always use with a tiny amount of diatomaceous earth. Cannot remember the name off hand of all the stuff.  I mixed the normal ratio's I think. I cant remember exactly as I was arguing with my husband why I am mixing the soil on the floor as opposed to the new pot and I lost concentration. When I get home I can get all the names of the stuff.  It is all the stuff I have been using for a while and used it also with my first grow which was bag seed. It turned out very well with almost no issues other than white flies. 

1 minute ago, Moosed said:

Meaning the plant looks good. Leaf is green. Stems are green. She looks healthy but I am afraid that she will not stay like this....I say this because I can see lots of wood bark in the soil. Wood bark in its current state is crap, it needs to break down and decompose before adding value to the soil. At the moment its just acting as a medium to hold roots together. There are better options out there.

I'm hoping it wont be an issue as the bark looking bits are very very soft and not hard at all.  There is also saw dust bits in there. As I said I have no idea what brand soil it is. The guy I got it from said its fine as the bark bit have been decomposed and are soft. Im hoping he is not bullshitting me. He has also been using the same with success and my previous grow was also fine with no hard bark bits. I do know that the roots do not like hard bits in the soil. 

22 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Have a look at this section of the forum.

https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?/forum/34-organic-growing-growing-in-soil/

Check GLOs soil or mine as one of many ideas on organics. Cannabis needs a specific root environment. 

Potting soil brands besides Freedom farms just dont cut it. But even freedom farms is spread thin.

Thanks! Next time I transplant I will be sure to get some other soil as my buddy can be quite unreliable with getting from him.  I prefer the organic route but still need to learn. I have started making my own mix with Banana's and stuff for when she starts to go into flower.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Totemic said:

And tap water is fine. Straight out the tap or if it will make you feel better leave to stand for 24 hours.

Thanks for that advise! I'm so nervous to use tap water these days as our water is quite hard where I live.  I normally use rain water but ran out then I resort to bought mineral water. My PH tester was eaten by my dog this weekend. He also chomped 1 leaf off my laughing Buddha seedling. This happened while I was transplanting my Hulkberry and I left my grow room door open. Blady stoner dog loves eating my leaves.