Organic soil amendments

I’ve been growing in organic soil for a number of years now. My ingredient list is pretty stable, but I love trying new things. I finally got around to reading the Revs’ True Living Organics, and Teaming with Microbes, by another author. Problem is, you struggle to find quality inputs in JHB. Consistency is nowhere. 

The stuff just about everyone sells as compost is far from it. All the nursery brand names, except Talborne are pretty much useless. My last bag of Fertilis EWC was mostly sand.

So, what ingredients do you struggle to get your hands on? What would you like to have access to, that you cannot find now?

Ever wanted FAST Ca, without the pH swing, or the Mg? How bout not paying an arm or a leg for Kelp. Ever wanted to try blood meal?

Let me know what would rock your boat, If it were available.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Budwizer said:

I’ve been growing in organic soil for a number of years now. My ingredient list is pretty stable, but I love trying new things. I finally got around to reading the Revs’ True Living Organics, and Teaming with Microbes, by another author. Problem is, you struggle to find quality inputs in JHB. Consistency is nowhere. 

The stuff just about everyone sells as compost is far from it. All the nursery brand names, except Talborne are pretty much useless. My last bag of Fertilis EWC was mostly sand.

So, what ingredients do you struggle to get your hands on? What would you like to have access to, that you cannot find now?

Ever wanted FAST Ca, without the pH swing, or the Mg? How bout not paying an arm or a leg for Kelp. Ever wanted to try blood meal?

Let me know what would rock your boat, If it were available.

I haven't seen much Bat guano around here, and would like to add that to my mix. I've seen other avian guano at nurseries, but apparently the bat guano tends to be better because of the diet of bats.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I can usually find stuff at the agri for cheap cheap. 50 KG dolomite is about 70 bucks at Agricol.

Lanfos near Langebaan sell sacks of rock phosphate. The old mine is now a fossil park. Taurus kelp products are based in Gansbaai.

I go to Vegtech for coco fibre and peat moss bales. They are close by to Red Tractor compost, on the other side of the N1.

Happy growing.