Diagnosis by leaf irregularities

Weed O Matic

Question

Some back ground.

Plants grew well in standard commercially available potting soil into which I had mixed 1 cup of bone meal per large bag. Of the 4 seeds planted two turned out to be male and have been destroyed. The two females are circa 70cm high and are in 30cm pots ready for their next move to 35cm pots. The plants are in full sun and subject to all the natural elements. They were planted on the 22nd October so I think progress has been poor. After a couple of weeks in the 35cm pots I am considering planting them directly into the ground?

20190217_172101.thumb.jpg.eb2ad1dc944bc1b03b2b2a52528ae17f.jpg

The plants were left in the care of my SIL over December, on my return the leaves were yellowing etc. I have since really battled to get them back to normal.

The tips of the leaves would go brown, followed by the gradual yellowing and or brown blotching of the leaves. All my internet research said nutrient burn so I flushed with water, still did not help. I took leaves to the nursery who insisted that it was a lack of nutrients and sold me Nitrosol. I have them a thorough watering with Nitrosol solution and then it rained solidly nearly for 4/5 days so I am sure that this is all flushed out of the system.

No too sure where to go now, there has been a gradual recovery of the plants but I notice that the growth rate appears retarded.Some of the tips are still brown and burnt but I am not to sure if this is the left over damage. 

Should I hang on for a bit, don't want to be knee jerking in my reaction?

Here is a pic of the older growth for diagnosis. 

20190217_172005.jpg

Edited by Weed O Matic
Added some wording

4 answers to this question

Those are classic symptoms of some sort of root damage. Poor drainage, aeration, pests. Rotting/ damaged roots cannot transport nutrients.

Leaf damage never recovers. Some yellowing can certainly recover, but necrosis is permanent.

Try lifting the root ball out of the pot. See if the roots are white and healthy. If not, aeration or drainage or both. Check for fungus gnats, they can cause those symptoms. Fungus gnats are themselves a symptom of overwatering.

Your harvest is near, so not much you can do to improve the situation now, but browse this forum for a better soil mix next time.