Hydro vegetable garden bata test

Gnome

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was able to kill off the blood worms and I did not have to scratch all the plants

some had defence against the blood worms I think and survived 

They did take a little bit of damage from the treatment to kill off the worms 

But the problem now is mosquitoes 

But what is interesting is the difference in growth rate of 3 types of basil all 3 cuttings were the same length and cut at the same time and just placed into the system 

DSC_0116.thumb.JPG.772e22045c04bfe0cd00800ea326fa28.JPGDSC_0117.thumb.JPG.7ff620fbe54c31067c1b063e0fb80478.JPGDSC_0118.thumb.JPG.27e26634c5e117031c91ea63709c2e67.JPG

this tomato cutting grew like crazy 

DSC_0113.thumb.JPG.649a52b09f94fa0314955256cf8d5bd1.JPG

DSC_0119.thumb.JPG.5b75cd06bf982baebf22dd42b45dd923.JPG

Spring onions took a hard hit but picking up again 

DSC_0111.thumb.JPG.d8d58489fadc7aff3b6dce9266c30e76.JPG

DSC_0114.thumb.JPG.b6142a704507e84789f6e47d9abdc27d.JPGDSC_0115.thumb.JPG.d318a37295c055e253b3823fb1e41bd2.JPG

mosquitoes But thinking of getting guppies or goldfish and keeping the nutrients organic by way of seed sprout tea's and sea grow 

DSC_0120.thumb.JPG.1dddf2d93396c3c19c2d3ffa2c5526c1.JPG

• Like 1

Glad you recovered. Both issues seem to relate to stagnant water. Are you running flood and drain?
My dwc chilli is happy af. Weekly res dump, fill with tap water and dump in nutes.
A little root discoloration from heat but otherwise no bugs
The key is moving water. Aeration if not and change weekly108ad3ecce846435e80822a3266d6627.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Correct me if I am wrong... But blood worms are the larvae of the midge fly? 

I did alil research and could not find any bad vibes from them... The bloodworms eat green algea. 

The midge Flys are irritating but not a nuisance... And my roots are very happy, I would say even happier when the blood worms are on them. 

Ah okay... I have a small midge population that I keep in check with a small spider population (not spider mites, just regular bug eating spiders lol) 

And like I said, my roots are extremely happy with them, no damage on the roots or any bad vibes... They do a pretty good cleanup of debris within the water... 

And worms poop too... Fresh vermicompast lol... Albeit insignificant amounts... But it's there 😝

Like... Little house spiders... Hundred times bigger than a mite... They do web, but they web on the walls and not so much on the plants... Not that I mind the web on the plants as I feel it improves the protection... Especially for pesky thrips and white flies

Here is what I have

First Pic is the red worm on the roots, the roots are much whiter.. The HPS gives it that yellow tinge

Second Pic is the homes they make with their shit and the crap that is in the water, very good cleaners

And the third Pic is the adult midge fly, harmless, they live for 5 days and then die and don't actually eat anything while in adult form... But my spiders like them

In all honesty I feel that my water is really plant friendly because of them. And don't see myself taking any steps to get rid of them 😋

IMG_20190618_211015.jpg

IMG_20190106_135534.jpg

images (2).jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ill_Evan
      Sjo howzit. 
      I'm ready to share what I've been up to since the last grow. Right from the get-go, I know this setup has flaws. I've got two different kinds of lights, three different strains and two different growing methods. 
      I'd like to say this is on purpose but honestly it just kinda happened. Somewhere between an upgrade and circumstance I've now ended up here. 
      I've decided I am going to do one last hoorah with DWC, going back to my roots from when I first began growing and also use the HID lamps I've had tucked away since acquiring my LED. I really like DWC, it's hellah fun and technical. I just love the amount of control you have with it. However I really want to do a serious ScrOG attempt next and the last time I did a ScrOG it was with DWC and couldn't even finish that grow 😓 
      If not DWC with a ScrOG, what medium to use then? I've never grown in a solid medium before so I'd have to learn soil/coco. 
      So I decided to throw in a couple plants in Freedom Farms Premium Classic and have them grow in the space I had left in my tent aside from the DWC setups, so that I am not a complete n00b when I do the ScrOG.
      Did I mention I got a bigger tent? I am now rocking a 1.2x2.4x2.05 meter tent and oh boy, I think a ScrOG will do just super.. but that's next time.
      Why waste time and not just do the ScrOG now? Well, I've got some very nice seeds on the way (enough time for another grow) and I'd like to create a mother from that pack of seeds and then use clones from the mother to fill the ScrOG. I also do not feel like my previous DWC grow was very good either, so I want to get a solid one in before dumping the buckets. 
      The plan is to do 4 DWC cooler boxes, same design as before. They will have 250W MH to veg and 400W HPS to flower. The ladies in the DWC will be mainlined into 8 queen colas each and I am going to be extremely aggressive on the defoliation. No kak cheap branches this time with poopy airy buds. I want 24 thicc and solid queen colas that look like the Grinch took a shit on my desk.. multiple times.
      After setting up the 4 DWC systems I couldn't help but notice that I had a third of my tent unused. I had already gotten a few extra things to expand my HID lamp setup to accommodate the increase in DWC buckets and number of plants, so I don't want to invest in more HID power. I want to keep the power below 1000W in the tent, I don't think anything more is necessary for what I'm doing. Although I have my 250W LED still, so I decided to just throw that into the tent in the unoccupied space and do two plants of the same strain in soil to learn the ropes. 
      The two plants in soil turned into five plants.. during the propagation stage one seed didn't pop, so I decided to pop more seeds to compensate and got a little paranoid and decided to pop more than necessary in case some didn't germinate.. they all germinated. So now I have five plants in soil, 4 of which are the same strain, 1 is a very long flowering strain. Once again I have done this to myself, putting different strains with different flowering times in the same tent. 
      But mama didn't raise no simp so imma let them finish as is. 
      But bro why not use the 80x80x180 tent you have sitting empty now? It's way too cold to veg under LED and no heating. The beauty of HID lamps in Winter is that you get your photons and a comfortable temperature in your tent all in one! So I've just put the soil plants under the LED in the same tent so they can share the heat. I did however add a small heater with a Sonof switch just to help the temp with the dips at night and these wacky cold fronts. Also because of the different flowering times I can then use this smaller tent as a drying tent as a harvest. 
      Even better, if the 5 soil plants get too big in their corner I can just take a few outside to flower 😎
      Strains!
      DWC: Pink Mango Gelato - Green Smoke Room Seeds

Soil: Aurora Indica (1) - Nirvana Seeds

Skywalker OG (4) - Nirvana Seeds

• By SaVanT
      Hi everyone,
      First time posting here. So here is photos of my plants that's been growing since last year October until now.
      Apologies if the photos are not in order from start to where they are now.

Medium:                    Coco, Vermiculite, Pearlite ((Topped with a layer of sterile sand))
                                          Think these are 8L buckets. They are very small
      Feeding:                     Manual hydro feed every day by hand
                                          Sometimes the rain helped a bit
      Feeding schedule:    Feed Feed water, Feed feed water etc.
                                          Foliar Feeding every water day at 4pm
      Strains:                      No idea xD
      Germinate day:         3rd October 2019
      Environment:            Outdoor under 10% Shade netting on top, Insect netting on the sides
                                          Had to move some of them to the outside, as space was a problem

Would appreciate it if anyone can help identify the strains. 

Do excuse the top colas of the sativas thats touching the roof (I know i cringe as well but those ones want to reach heaven it seems.

Enjoy

• By Chris Jay
      This black poison from GSR has been going for a couple months. Not in flower yet, but about to switch any day. I made a self-watering system for a clients project, two 25l buckets in each eachother, the top one with a netted pot inserted at the bottom to collect the water from the bottom bucket. And a piece of pvc to water through, but its easy enough just to lift the pot out and pour the water in that is needed.

Soil
      100% organic. Compoost, potting soil, epsom salts, use a number of homemade teas  ( dandelion, weed, eggs shells etc ) . No external sources of nutes except the epsoms which comes directly from the mine. I will be buying mollasses soon, always love the flavour.

Water
      Aerated rain water only.

Mulch
      Always mulch with dried, aged donkey manure. Holds water nicely, prevents evaporation and leaches nutrients down.

Growth from 24th Nov
      Growth 4th Dec

Sadly we are going through a heavy drought and food is scarce. My leaves are being eaten by either my dogs or chickens. They are welcome. Need to give this plant a bit of a prune and cleanup, take some clones for a last wack at a quick harvest before winter.

Sorry not a great picture. But here is the growth for the past month.

Happy Growing.
    • By 420F0R3V3R
      Hi everyone 
      I wish you all well today.
      so I have just completed my first grow I’m still pretty noob and I grew in potting soil mixed with bonemeal and fed moderate amounts of seagro most of the until closer to the end as I could now see the bonemeal burning them. I never used any flowering nutrients thinking the bonemeal would provide enough of the P, I wasn’t happy with the bud sizes ( I’ll post a pic ) I saw some EHG nutrients on growguru site it sounds ‘ amazing ‘ as most are trying to market there product but before I go ahead and purchase the A, B, micro kit I would like everyone’s opinions on the matter, I’ll be using it in coco only grow next ( I’m revenging the same plant, time wreck) and putting it in a scrog this time, but after that I want to do DWC so would it be possible for those nutes to cover me through a coco and dwc grow ?
      Incase this info is relevant I’m using 10x 15w LED bulbs @2700k 1520 lumens each.
      thanks !

ps I posted a pic of the nutes im referring to, aswell as a few bud shots 

• By ScrOGger
      Howdy folks, first post here, been lurking for a bit, not really one for introducing myself and also haven't been on a local grow forum since BelowTheLion had a grow forum...so.....eh...howzit👊.
      Recently run into some issues with root aphids, so thought it appropriate to communicate with local communities in order to see what methods people have used in the past to treat infestations, as well as share my experiences.
      * Currently Day 25 of Flower at posting(11/04/2019)
      Setup:
      Mars Grow Tent(Total Grow Space - 2.4mx1.2mx2m) 1 x Extractor(700m3/hr - 11.67m3/minute) - Negative Pressure 600w HID(Sunmaster - Dual Spectrum [Flowering Period Only]) 2 x 45l D.W.C Reservoirs 2 Plants per res.(125mm Net Pots with Hydrotron/LECA) ScroGged(Utilised Grow Space - 1mx1.4m) Strain:
      4 x Green House Seed Co. A.M.S.(Identical Cuts)  
      Preface:
      For the record, I had some how allowed myself to be fooled by the idea that subterranean pests wouldn't really be a factor in hydroponics, especially Deep Water Culture, but boy was i mistaken, so please, don't fool yourselves with this idea guys.
      If anything, in my resulting opinion, the hydroponic environment can actually be more conducive to certain pests growth when comapred with its media/soil counterparts, however, on the flip side, much like dealing with nutrient burns or P.H. issues, hydroponic systems have a greater potential for fast recover.(*Provided you are able to identify the issue/infestation early enough.)

In hind sight, I can easily say that the first sign of my infestation actually started showing a little over a week ago, however I would only come to realise this 3 days ago.
      It started with me waking up to finding a mass of dead fliers on my tent floor, which I had simply assumed were just miggies trying to get to my light and moved on, however I would soon realise that these were actually the winged adults of an aphid infestation.
      I only realised the true issue when it came to nute change time, which is when I discovered a rather established Root Aphid infestation when going to siphon my reservoirs.
      *This is when Hydrogen Peroxide(H2O2) becomes your next best friend.
      Treatment:
      Day 1: Sprayed with Ludwigs Insect Spray +. Flushed reservoirs with fresh water and tried to physically remove and wash off any visible aphids as much as possible. Filled reservoirs with P.H. balanced water and added 12ml(30% H2O2[Clicks - 30 Vol.]) per resivour. Only water/circulation pump running - aeration turned off to potentially try reduce H2O2 reduction to H2O. Day 2: Sprayed with Ludwigs Insect Spray +. Added 5ml(30% H2O2[Clicks - 30 Vol.]) to each reservoir. Day 3: Flushed reservoirs with fresh water and tried to physically remove and wash off any visible aphid debris as much as possible - can clearly see that the infestation is not thriving like it was. Added normal flowering nute mix Aerators back on(*System to run as normal) I definitely feel that my initial knock of the infestation has been successful, however it is crucial that I ensure that I keep on top of this infestation by inspecting my rootzone multiple times a day when possible as well as spraying Ludwigs Insect Spray + to ensure that any crawling/flying aphids are exterminated and unable to continue their life cycle.(I have had great success with Ludwigs Insect Spray + for canopy/foliage pests).
      If I see any signs of the root aphids getting a grip again,  I will repeat the steps from day 1 and 2(H2O2 Volume to be determined).
      *Yellow fly paper would also be extremely beneficial at reducing winged flier survival success rate
      *It is crucial that anyone reading this post realises that these are my experiences with a Deep Water Culture Hydroponic system, and that if you encounter root aphids in a soil-type medium, H2O2 will destroy any organic organisms in your medium, if at a strong enough concentration, beneficial organism or not. Ensure that you consider this and research accordingly before taking this as word.
      *Please also realise that the effects of root aphids will most likely show as a nutrient deficiency first, unless the rootzone infestation is noticed before hand by the grower.
      Any experiences or input would be much appreciated - substantiated or opinionated <3.