Quantum Board (QB) Vs Chip On Board (COB)

Hansom1

QB VS COB  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your Preferance.

37 minutes ago, Batista said:

QB for ease of use and low heat levels,dimmable to save your drivers - more pricier initially

COBs - cheaper but need a fan and heatsink,dont think they are dimmable - cheaper initially.

COB's are actually not really cheaper, they actually work out far more expensive due to frame construction, heat sinks, couplers , multiple LED drivers. Last time I did a price list to build a cob setup i quickly went into the 13K mark with barely any effort, that was not even including shipping at this point, and cobs are dimmable, if you use a dimmable driver.

QB are actually the cheaper option here, it boils down to your wattage requirements.

I currently run QB, 600 watts per side in my 2.4m wide tent. Both put out heat, QB's can be run at lower voltage and are still very efficient, that is one of their perks among other things.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys you just dont realize the prices of these units. Keep in mind this is top of the line tech almost. If you buy direct from HLG its $1050 which is roughly R15 000 then add postage and 20% import duty on led fittings and congrats its R18 000 for the light.

49 minutes ago, noobymacdooby said:

Guys you just dont realize the prices of these units. Keep in mind this is top of the line tech almost. If you buy direct from HLG its $1050 which is roughly R15 000 then add postage and 20% import duty on led fittings and congrats its R18 000 for the light.

I own multiple quantum boards,  HLG 65 for 2500? Lol. try 99$

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/products/hlg-65

I can also get the HLG 550 V2 for 850$ also can get half price shipping on the unit. That being said half the quantum boards where manufactured in Shenzen, so you can just get reliable ones from there as well.

HLG 550 clone same diodes from a reliable manufacturer : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HLG550-Full-spectrum-Quantum-boards-480watt_60835863406.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.rect38f22d.1.bc2665e8UCpIOC

Here is one with LM 301B diodes - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QB288-V2-Samsung-lm301B-SK-full_60834267751.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.rect38f22d.3.bc2665e8UCpIOC

So yeah, better options out there.

• Like 1

Just now, Justin Hemp said:

Superior Diodes?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Well diodes are the same but the manufacturing process is most likely different, only recently last year did HLG start printing their own boards. Samsung actually do the fabrication now for them.

@greenkush yeah I do realize you can get cheaper boards and import them. I built my own lights too. It's cheaper when you import the parts though as they list them as electronic parts. If you buy a light fixture like this they nail you with 20% import duty + postage. So from my rough calculations they're not massively overcharging people. Only local light manufacturers are Growopz with much better prices.

@Justin Hemp Yeah the HLG is a top range light used for agriculture but will still have the same diodes as Growopz. Think it's their whole setup that gives it a PPF Efficacy of 2.5 μmol/joule. Curious to see what Growopz comes out with on their new lights.

1 minute ago, noobymacdooby said:

Also if you buy that $99 board from HLG they charge $150!!! postage. So its already more than buying local.

There are many cheaper ways to get things in SA. The fact that I can get an HLG 550 v2 from the US for around 12-13K incl customs, that is already a 5K saving. But then again I would rather go fluence.

25 minutes ago, greenkush said:

There are many cheaper ways to get things in SA. The fact that I can get an HLG 550 v2 from the US for around 12-13K incl customs, that is already a 5K saving. But then again I would rather go fluence.

Wow if you can get it that price why not resell? And how come they sell the units on their site for $1050 if its available for cheaper?

5 minutes ago, noobymacdooby said:

Wow if you can get it that price why not resell? And how come they sell the units on their site for $1050 if its available for cheaper?

Because other places run specials, also im not really interested in being an importer of lights also HLG is not all that cracked out its made to be.

I'm eyeing these out in the future : https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/products/amare-solarbar-sb-800 

38 minutes ago, noobymacdooby said:

Could you link me to these specials? At those prices I'd gladly resell. Are you still paying 20% import duties? And how much for postage?

http://photonicled.com

No idea on postage at the time I was going to order the postage was free, but they'll be able to give you a quote. Not a lot of people are going to fork out 15K on a light, so I don't really see much market for it.

They dont offer free shipping outside of the states but the unit still comes to 15k even if the postage was free. Prices must've been more discounted when you last checked. Oh well

13 hours ago, noobymacdooby said:

They dont offer free shipping outside of the states but the unit still comes to 15k even if the postage was free. Prices must've been more discounted when you last checked. Oh well

Well I was in contact via mail with them at the time and they offered be massively reduced shipping costs.