Sign in to follow this  
Manny

My first grow.

What’s up all. Trying growing out for the first time and different methods and so on. Just playing around with bagseed at the moment.

Over the past 2 days I’ve germinated some of my seeds and planted them. Some under CFL lights indoors and some outdoors. I bring the outdoor ones inside though at night.

Here’s my little DIY set up so far

70e925e9705b9de9e7b481b623d678b6.jpg

That was how it looked in the beginning. I’ve taken the spots out though and put only CFL lights. They’re household ones. Around 14W each. I’m just using them for now for the germination stage and hopefully by the end of next week I’ll get my 200W or 250W CFL along with the reflector and a small extractor fan for now until I can afford to upgrade again.

b82f95a729d872408cc322ecf3dceeb3.jpg

I woke up to this little fella today.

Currently I’m just using plain potting soil as I already had it. But once I transplant I will change the soil to freedom farms premium organic mix. What are your guys thoughts on this soil ?

Also these are the lights and fans I was looking at. The grow box I made is 80x80x1500

I just plan to grow 2 plants in the box for now.

Which lights and fan would be good to use. I know the more expensive ones with more watts will be better but I’m on a budget too. So I don’t need the best. Just something that will work for now.

841d6042c21dd901d67a7aeb231f3aea.jpg

070846705f3f38aa08ea81a460cc6870.jpg

2d8a2a43da1e4cc318b90a261926d619.jpg

f71b854dc700eddf5e434a0b30f9f56e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d also just like to ask a stupid question. For my one outdoor grow. Could I leave it outside in the day and then at night put it under the lights ?

• Like 1

I prefer to keep indoor plants indoors to reduce risk of pests. You could do it but i wouldn't 

I have my indoor ones 24/7 but I wanted to bring the outdoor ones inside at night

Hi @Manny

Here's a couple suggestions to make the best of the cab you've built. Instead of that CFL, see if you can find an electrical store that sells 250W magnetic ballasts for metal halide and high pressure sodium bulbs. It should cost around the same as that bulb and can be used for flower and for veg, whereas that CFL can only be used for veg. Plus it will put out better growth than the CFL. You may have to wire up an igniter and capacitor but its nothing complicated 

Then to ventilate your cab.... I suggest you go to builders warehouse and get one of those 4 inch bathroom extractor fans or something similar to this https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Tools-and-Accessories/Extractor-Fans/Decor-Centre-Ex-Fan-Wall-and-Ceiling-100mm/p/000000000000293955 ........... then make sure to add a hole for a passive intake. 

Are you going to add a door to that? You'll need to seal that environment

• Like 1

Hi [mention=1503]Manny[/mention]
Here's a couple suggestions to make the best of the cab you've built. Instead of that CFL, see if you can find an electrical store that sells 250W magnetic ballasts for metal halide and high pressure sodium bulbs. It should cost around the same as that bulb and can be used for flower and for veg, whereas that CFL can only be used for veg. Plus it will put out better growth than the CFL. You may have to wire up an igniter and capacitor but its nothing complicated 
Then to ventilate your cab.... I suggest you go to builders warehouse and get one of those 4 inch bathroom extractor fans or something similar to this https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Tools-and-Accessories/Extractor-Fans/Decor-Centre-Ex-Fan-Wall-and-Ceiling-100mm/p/000000000000293955 ........... then make sure to add a hole for a passive intake. 
Are you going to add a door to that? You'll need to seal that environment

I went to green thumb and they said CFL is the cheapest option. They said I could use the cool light for veg and the warm white light for flowering. So the 6700k for veg and 2700K for flower.
But my box isn’t big at all so I was thinking of moving the plants outside when it gets to flowering - I must just read up more on that.

Yeah it does have a door. I just don’t have the hinges yet. But I do cover it up completely with another block of wood.

I just don’t have enough at the moment to buy both a ballast as well as a bulb

So instead of those extractor fans from green thumb I should get one from builders rather ?

84511df00bb0e30b8a528b214a4d20ff.jpg

Is this light too close to the plant ? It’s a 15W cfl. Cool white ?

This is my outdoor grow. But I see it’s struggling a bit. Can anyone help as to What deficiencies it has and what can cure it.

This is my outdoor grow. But I see it’s struggling a bit. Can anyone help as to What deficiencies it has and what can cure it.

cea7da8f9237469f7e4e5f2357e2725b.jpg

02836e69debfc4edd8a3c2127be27ce3.jpg

Have a look @green leaf organics posts, he has a few suggested soil mixes you could use. From what I'm seeing is the soil looks far to wet unless you recently watered it. Less is more with Cannabis. Add to that the soil mix you have there is high in bark content which messes with the ph. If you can afford it go with the freedom farms premium mix. I would agree on using CFL vs HPS unless you plan on using a whole lot of them, which would work you put a whole lot more expensive. Green thumb sold you what they have as a starter option, I think you shouldn't have jumped so quickly until you did your homework adequately.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nice man.Just keep reading up and watching grow vids and then put what you learn to work.

I also started with cfls.Its a good learning curve without spending so much cash.Once you have 1 or 2 cfls grows you can then move upto HPS/LED and hydro to really get the most out of your plant.

Your 14 watt cfl is def too far away from the plant, it should be 2-3 cms away.That plant is giong to stretch and then possibly fall over.

Nice man.Just keep reading up and watching grow vids and then put what you learn to work.
I also started with cfls.Its a good learning curve without spending so much cash.Once you have 1 or 2 cfls grows you can then move upto HPS/LED and hydro to really get the most out of your plant.
Your 14 watt cfl is def too far away from the plant, it should be 2-3 cms away.That plant is giong to stretch and then possibly fall over.

Thanks for the tips man

On 11/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, 420SA said:

@Manny

Could these be used as an intake as well? By just turning it around or something? 

Sorry for hijacking this post. 

36 minutes ago, Dope_Boy26 said:

Could these be used as an intake as well? By just turning it around or something? 

Sorry for hijacking this post. 

i have used one as intake for years, just keep an eye on them long term, it appears efficiency degrades quite heavily with age.

i tested a load shedding backup solution using a 12v server fan as intake and an old one of those as exhaust on a ups, and noticed positive air pressure!! the 12v crapped all over the 220v exhaust with a massively shorter duct to travel(45cm vs 1.5m)

Edited by McB
  • Thanks 1

170e6da87c9b300712ba3ed29b7a2c1f.jpg

My gardener had found this in the garden today. I did. Not plant intentionally it but it’s there
But I see it only has 3 fingers on each leaf. Is this normal ? And would it produce buds ?
If so is it possible to transplant it to better soil ?

I would say just leave her alone in the ground 🙂 Wait is that a confirmed female?

Yeah I would just leave it and continue to water with nutes.Maybe you get lucky otherwise you would have wasted time and effort on a male plant.

Yeah I would just leave it and continue to water with nutes.Maybe you get lucky otherwise you would have wasted time and effort on a male plant.

Haven’t really been using nutes. I bought this one that you mix with water. It’s a fish one. Use that every once in a while

Haven’t really been using nutes. I bought this one that you mix with water. It’s a fish one. Use that every once in a while

This is the plant food I’ve been using every once in a while. 71d1e97820916128451fb90e5ff3e7b3.jpg

• Like 1

What’s up all. Here is my 2 week grow update. Won’t lie, plants aren’t looking the healthiest

Here are my 3 outdoor ones so far

154d4d33de6a3f54dc7eb3015c50e991.jpg

eff384f45954a015269ba710c14ec0ff.jpg

180032fc4d254836f470ad08cb280e63.jpg

And here are my 4 indoors

a5658f9aa9f4082ab05931c9eae28bd9.jpg

f11b05f5dc17ad4f9460d4fde6b1842e.jpg

58ba3106d70b345a39dc711c0a6c9e83.jpg

e4e00ec1072689646a48080b7cfe156b.jpg

I’ve been watering once a day and using the plant food every once in a while. I’ve just been using normal tap water. The plants are also still in small cups. Plan to buy air pots on Tuesday as well as freedom farms organic premium mix.
I also still have to get a PH tester and some ph down and up so I can ph my water

Plants aren't looking too bad. If a little short. I find getting a 25l bucket of water with an air stone and pump to bubble out chemicals will help you eliminate overlooked potential water issues before needing to drop cash for a meter etc. 

Are you allowing the pots to dry or just watering daily. When you say you feed once in a while. When is this and at what dosage. I genuinely think getting those into better soil would do you a world of good. Bare in mind they will droop and be unhappy after transplant so try not to panic and overtreat. 

Edited by McB