Lights from Amazon

Zrubin

Hey guys~

I'm about to begin purchasing all the supplies for my first grow setup. I'm planning on using a 120x60x165 grow tent and making most of the setup quite simple. The only thing I'm struggling with are my lighting options. After doing lots of research I would like to go with LEDs and currently I'm gonna go for this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH1MQV8/ref=twister_B07G1X9WDC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&coliid=I3NWA0TLWRM29M&colid=36XJU6JJ1Y5YB.

Has anyone bought anything from Amazon? Also if anyone has suggestions for local lighting options that aren't LEDs I'm all for listening!

edit: probs should have mentioned my budget. Trying to stay below 2k

Edited by Zrubin

Stay away from those LED's, not true watts, epistar or epiled (garbage) and they burn out fast.

Go for these : 

https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-Quantum-Boards/dp/B078P4K8J9/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541399420&sr=8-8&keywords=quantum+boards

You'll just need to get a matching driver.

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 1

with all due respect, that light is great for lettuce, what you are looking at there is severely old technology with only a single lense on the diode with no secondary. this means your spread is going to terrible.

the chips used look to be 3w, probably epileds as i see no mention of better quality being used.(and china would say if they used cree) brand aside rest assured the quality is lower bin, meaning less stringent quality control in general. 

the addition of uv and ir seems redundant, its not that they aren't useful, i just wouldn't add them to a panel at the expense of photosynthetic light. a full spectrum white would serve a much more worthy purpose instead for example.
NO mention of used spectrum is suspect, not all reds are created equal, with 660nm being substantially more expensive than 630 if memory serves.

IF you need to do led, look at cobs, that said a cree "100w" 3590 chip alone will set you back 500 plus,with no sync or driver so i do understand the attraction. 
I speak from experience, experience im now having to fix retrospectively.

removing IR and cheap reds and replace with full spectrum on my panel,sourcing better angel lenses etc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McB said:

IF you need to do led, look at cobs, that said a cree "100w" 3590 chip alone will set you back 500 plus,with no sync or driver so i do understand the attraction. 
I speak from experience, experience im now having to fix retrospectively.

Or quantum boards, samsung LM 301B, LM 561 C S6 strips. There are many lighting engines out there. 

5 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Or quantum boards, samsung LM 301B, LM 561 C S6 strips. There are many lighting engines out there. 

yeah, basic point is, not that amazon panel.
 but lets face it, nothing listed here fits the R1000 budget based on that purchase price.
good leds arent cheap and cheap leds arent good

1 hour ago, greenkush said:

sorry to hijack this thread, but you have me interested, what price points are we looking at for the samsung products, pro's and cons of them vs 3w full spectrum/cob 
the sammy's look to be mid power.

this is what i have found locally with a little bit of a  google

https://za.rs-online.com/web/c/displays-optoelectronics/leds-led-accessories/visible-leds/?searchTerm=led&applied-dimensions=4294965025&rpp=100

Edited by McB
typos

17 minutes ago, McB said:

sorry to hijack this thread, but you have me interested, what price points are we looking at for the samsung products, pro's and cons of them vs 3w full spectrum/cob 
the sammy's look to be mid power.

this is what i have found locally with a little bit of a  google

https://za.rs-online.com/web/c/displays-optoelectronics/leds-led-accessories/visible-leds/?searchTerm=led&applied-dimensions=4294965025&rpp=100

I'm referring to these : 

https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/led-modules/industrial-light-module/h-influx/

Then build something like, the last image are the strips in the above link

IMG_20181101_200321.jpg

20180822_092010.jpg

HiFlux.jpg

27 minutes ago, greenkush said:

I'm referring to these : 

https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/led-modules/industrial-light-module/h-influx/

Then build something like, the last image are the strips in the above link

IMG_20181101_200321.jpg

20180822_092010.jpg

HiFlux.jpg

i get what you are referring to, great in concept i'm sure. doesn't really address any of the questions posed though.

what would that setup set you back and where will it run wattage wise. drivers look pretty small for the size of the array.
i'm working off models you mentioned, checking local availability, price,spec sheets and comparing to my lumiled and cree cob research to gain an actual understanding of price vs performance between cob and smd

15 minutes ago, McB said:

The purpose of the samsung strips is their efficacy, you can build any wattage light fixture you want. My friend has one running at 1000 watts (true rated watts), he runs it off a few meanwell dimmable drivers. Yes the drivers in that guys pic above does look small, because people usually run them lower than the max voltage and still get the results they want. Lower wattage = lower heat.

My boards run off of two of these : 

hlg-600_1.jpg

If you think its still a concept go look at the american forums and the led sections and see what is being produced. Here is an example of one:

1A2B3472-5A2E-4E36-9699-CA02A567EBE0.thumb.jpeg.9ff323fe11ba955a4b22ffe3ed56f486.jpeg

TBF1lMk.thumb.jpg.a2b867e6c6f1a87d2d914b61c3b64424.jpg

In any event there is no real answer to your price question, it all depends on your wattage and configuration you want to go with, which strips, frame, drivers, etc. 

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Depends on your budget , that's a very cheap Chinese led so I wouldn't expect much from it . How much you wanting to yield per run?

budget I'd like to try keep below 2k and yield not sure per a plant but I'd like to grow 2-3 plants effectively

3 hours ago, greenkush said:

Stay away from those LED's, not true watts, epistar or epiled (garbage) and they burn out fast.

Go for these : 

https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-Quantum-Boards/dp/B078P4K8J9/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541399420&sr=8-8&keywords=quantum+boards

You'll just need to get a matching driver.

So how do the quantum boards work with drivers and whats the wattage equivelent of 1 quantum borad?

I was going to go for a 

14 hours ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Depends on your budget , that's a very cheap Chinese led so I wouldn't expect much from it . How much you wanting to yield per run?

Also about the cheap chinese shit, I was planning on getting a viparspectra 300 watts but couldnt find one that shipped here