Lights from Amazon

Zrubin

On 11/4/2018 at 9:18 PM, Zrubin said:

Hey guys~

I'm about to begin purchasing all the supplies for my first grow setup. I'm planning on using a 120x60x165 grow tent and making most of the setup quite simple. The only thing I'm struggling with are my lighting options. After doing lots of research I would like to go with LEDs and currently I'm gonna go for this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH1MQV8/ref=twister_B07G1X9WDC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&coliid=I3NWA0TLWRM29M&colid=36XJU6JJ1Y5YB.

Has anyone bought anything from Amazon? Also if anyone has suggestions for local lighting options that aren't LEDs I'm all for listening!

edit: probs should have mentioned my budget. Trying to stay below 2k

Just be very sure that the unit takes 110v~240v!! An you might want a USA to RSA plug adapter....

Otherwise, the order is fulfilled by Amazon, so you are good for shipping being handled by Aramex. 

I can vouch for their service many times over. Cheapest delivery option usually arrives in 7-10 days. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CG420za said:

If i can save by building my light rigs myself, I'm happy bruv. for example CXB3950's are R500 a pop. I could make a light engine for less than R800. But wanna go the QB route.

QB's can be bought on amazon or directly from HLG, alternatively you can get QB's on alibaba, either R2T or Meiju are okay. I got mine from Mejiu, however shipping was rather costly, if you buy just the boards without heat sinks the weight will most definitely be cheaper.  There are so many different configurations you can choose from, lots of people go for the smaller QB boards and build a large array.  You then just wire them up to mean well drivers. Many people I've seen run many boards at much lower wattage with no heat sinks .

Just rather head over to the intl forums to check the LED sections, there is tons of information to digest so pointless for me to copy and paste.

Example:1114862043_initpintu_.thumb.jpg.79e274dce4193337adb4eb2b54026b0d.jpg

Edited by greenkush

2 minutes ago, greenkush said:

QB's can be bought on amazon or directly from HLG, alternatively you can get QB's on alibaba, either R2T or Meiju are okay. I got mine from Mejiu, however shipping was rather costly, if you buy just the boards without heat sinks the weight will most definitely be cheaper.  There are so many different configurations you can choose from, lots of people go for the smaller QB boards and build a large array.  You then just wire them up to mean well drivers. Many people I've seen run many boards at much lower wattage with no heat sinks .

Just rather head over to the intl forums to check the LED sections, there is tons of information to digest so pointless for me to copy and paste.

Thanks for the tip :-peace

33 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Example:1114862043_initpintu_.thumb.jpg.79e274dce4193337adb4eb2b54026b0d.jpg

Do quantum boards 100% need to have heatsinks?

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't decided where/what lights to purchase but I just stumbled across these on takealot: https://www.takealot.com/jb-luxx-100w-limited-edition-high-power-led-flood-light/PLID47074210?utm_source=rtbhouse&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=rtbhouse-retargeting

Do you think If I used 2-3 of them I could grow 3 plants?

I'm still very new to growing, but though those lights you asking about Zrubin, look more suited to a Veg / mother station, also not a bad price at all.

My baby is getting made this week by GrowOpz, and I cant wait to get that light growing and post my progress and such here.

18 hours ago, Zrubin said:

Still haven't decided where/what lights to purchase but I just stumbled across these on takealot: https://www.takealot.com/jb-luxx-100w-limited-edition-high-power-led-flood-light/PLID47074210?utm_source=rtbhouse&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=rtbhouse-retargeting

Do you think If I used 2-3 of them I could grow 3 plants?

Not sure about thosem but have a look here, this is from ACDC.co.za

zoTOxJ.jpg

See the lumen ratings.

• Like 1

Those are crappy old tech LEDs. If you want  LED grow lights your best price / option is to buy from growopz or build your own using quality cobs or quantum boards. You can grow under almost any LED but if you want sizable, dense frosty nugs you'l need the newest tech to do so and it's going to cost money. Cheap LEDS are only good for seedlings and clones in veg. You can grow full plants in veg but they will grow much slower under those floodlights than cobs or quantum boards.

With LED the idea is that its costly upfront but saves you money over time with electricity costs and bulb replacements

@Batista lumen ratings aren't an indication of usefulness for growing, you want ppfd or umol j

44 minutes ago, Batista said:

Howdy Peeps

Are these any good,220v Leds, 50 W COB, so no driver needed i think.

https://www.gearbest.com/grow-lights/pp_1236641.html?wid=1433363

i ordered one of those from wish a while back, not bad actually, mounted in a spotlight housing for testing, should actually stick it in a micro cab and see what it does

ran pretty hot to be honest(on a sync, no fan)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, noobymacdooby said:

Those are crappy old tech LEDs. If you want  LED grow lights your best price / option is to buy from growopz or build your own using quality cobs or quantum boards. You can grow under almost any LED but if you want sizable, dense frosty nugs you'l need the newest tech to do so and it's going to cost money. Cheap LEDS are only good for seedlings and clones in veg. You can grow full plants in veg but they will grow much slower under those floodlights than cobs or quantum boards.

With LED the idea is that its costly upfront but saves you money over time with electricity costs and bulb replacements

@Batista lumen ratings aren't an indication of usefulness for growing, you want ppfd or umol j

Yeah I know going for cheap LED's isnt the best idea but I don't want to invest so much money in a grow light when this is gonna just be a hobby with no cash return

48 minutes ago, Zrubin said:

Yeah I know going for cheap LED's isnt the best idea but I don't want to invest so much money in a grow light when this is gonna just be a hobby with no cash return

I'm also doing it as a hobby too....turns out an expensive hobby though. 🤣  Try a bit of googling, I've seen some posts on forums of guys testing cheap options like these

1 hour ago, Zrubin said:

That depends on how much you spend on bud each month...you'll be surprised how much you start saving once you rely on homegrown

2 hours ago, Batista said:

Yeah hopefully gearbest will have some Black Friday specials, will get a few to play around with.I need a low cost effective solution for clone and mother area.

I have my mother under a 45w CFL. I paid R200 for the CFL. Like you said, it's just for clones and a mom. They don't need a killer light anyways.

That's my mom, took 12 clones from her on Thursday. Took the pics on Tuesday. Personally, I think your clones will do well under that led :-2cents

But like the boys said, if you gonna flower under them, spend the bucks and go quantum.

Photo 2018-11-19, 21 12 39.jpg

Photo 2018-11-19, 21 12 52.jpg

Photo 2018-11-19, 21 13 01.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys~

I'm about to begin purchasing all the supplies for my first grow setup. I'm planning on using a 120x60x165 grow tent and making most of the setup quite simple. The only thing I'm struggling with are my lighting options. After doing lots of research I would like to go with LEDs and currently I'm gonna go for this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH1MQV8/ref=twister_B07G1X9WDC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&coliid=I3NWA0TLWRM29M&colid=36XJU6JJ1Y5YB.

Has anyone bought anything from Amazon? Also if anyone has suggestions for local lighting options that aren't LEDs I'm all for listening!

I got myself the Bestva from Amazon and my plants seem to love it.... Did you end up going with yours?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M03IA3J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AK8SWYT2R4AXW&psc=1

Hey guys~

I got myself the Bestva from Amazon and my plants seem to love it.... Did you end up going with yours?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M03IA3J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AK8SWYT2R4AXW&psc=1

19 minutes ago, CleanGreen said:

You're going to suffer with those, those epistar and epileds are prone to burning out very quickly, in the first few weeks/ months.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:34 AM, CleanGreen said:

I didn't end up going with it due to delivery costs however I think I will go with CFL's bought locally