EC VS TDS

Trailblazer420

Question

7 answers to this question

Technically they are entirely different. Total dissolved solids is a measurement of actual dissolved solids in solution. EC is only a representation of the resistance in solution. The two are theoretically not interchangeable and entirely different. Your confusion comes in from companies converting the resistance into a possible representation of total dissolved salts or "part per million". This conversion is based on particular parameters and works more as a representation than an actual account for the solute. Try aim to use EC rather than TDS/PPM. If you know what you put into your solution, you can use a bit of simple math and work out your concentration by resistance. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Trailblazer420 said:

I just realized I started an entire new thread here and it was supposed to be a reply 🙂 🙂 :stoned

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lol it wasn't you bud.  I split it into its own thread as Im sure this thread can be helpful to many others.

There are two ways to determine the concentration of solutes in a solution: mass spectrometry, or EC.

Any pen that gives you an indication of “how much stuff is in solution” is measuring EC. No pen or instrument  measures PPM. PPM is an approximation, based on the conductivity of known salt concentrations of KCl or NaCl, as alemo said. In other words, pens scaled in PPM are measuring EC, and then applying a conversion factor to give an approximate PPM.