PH meter

Dr. Green

Question

High All

So I think it's time I get myself a pH meter. I grow in soil and never bothered with PH before but I think its time I start looking at it since I have spent a lot of money on my setup and want to do what I can to get the best possible quality. 

Any recommendations tips or tricks? I know I should get a storage solution with any digital pen. Are the more expensive pens worth it? 

Thanks

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

Hi Dr Green,

I went with a similar train of thought when buying a new pH pen. Even when growing in soil I adjust pH and EC in my nutrient solution. 

A more expensive model in my experience is definitely worth it. I had a cheaper chinese model. The reading was slow, would always bounce around, the calibration would drift off quickly and I could never be certain. 

I went with a Bluelab model from amazon, including 2x bottles of storage liquid. Import duties and delivery to my door, it cost me R1500. The SA side is delivered by Aramex. Coming from the USA it cleared customs and arrived in little over a week,  on their budget shipping option.  If you use them, make sure shipping is done by Amazon in the basket, they have the agreement with Aramex and not third parties. 

Compared to the chinese model, the Bluelab is faster, accurate, calibrates easily  and also has a temperature read out. Had mine for almost a year and would get another one just the same if replacing. 

Be sure to get pH calibration liquid as you should be calibrating at least once a month, most pen calibrate to using pH 4 and 7.   Always keep the probe soaked in storage solution. 

Bluelab-pH-Pen.1.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Justin Hemp said:

And what did it set you back and thoughts if you've used it?

R900 it works like a charm. It came calibrated when I put it in 7.0 solution it read 7.0.  

My tap water comes out a 8.3.  I watered my plants with 6.5 as they are finishing. 

• Like 1

I've been using the PH-80 for a few months now. What I've found that after a week and a bit the pen goes up by 0.2 i.e it reads 7.2 when sticking it in a 7.0 solution, so be sure to calibrate quite often. Other than that its shap :-thumbsup

Perhaps it because I'm using plain water to moisten the sponge thingy in the cap, and not storage solution.

I find these ebay testers to work fine, but they generally only last a grow, sometimes 2, but there cheap and do the trick. dbbc226ab3646c084de0f084ae3bfd7c.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks like the one I have - got it from takealot a while ago - but I can second your statement - only lasts a grow or 2.

Takealot wasnt cheap, I recall paying 600 for the meter - which for its use, seems like a ripoff.

I have been using the color ph test liquid. Does the trick - but takes away the precision.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I may just be too hard on the equipment, also 2 grows is hydro where it is used sometimes multiple times a day.

They're around R80 on ebay. Took 60 days to get here, but the next new one should be in SA already.

Also, 2 grows is a year, probably be more now that it's legal :)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:51 AM, 420SA said:

I've been using the PH-80 for a few months now. What I've found that after a week and a bit the pen goes up by 0.2 i.e it reads 7.2 when sticking it in a 7.0 solution, so be sure to calibrate quite often. Other than that its shap :-thumbsup

Perhaps it because I'm using plain water to moisten the sponge thingy in the cap, and not storage solution.

Not storing the probe correctly reduces the life and performance of pH probes heavily. Always keep your pH electrode moist. Try keeping the electrode in KCL solution. If KCL is not available use pH 4 calibration solution. DO NOT store the electrode in distilled/deionized water or plain water — this will cause ions to leach out of the glass bulb and render your probe useless.

• Like 1

Not storing the probe correctly reduces the life and performance of pH probes heavily. Always keep your pH electrode moist. Try keeping the electrode in KCL solution. If KCL is not available use pH 4 calibration solution. DO NOT store the electrode in distilled/deionized water or plain water — this will cause ions to leach out of the glass bulb and render your probe useless.
Thanks for this I will definitely try make a plan. My ph pen has a thin sponge that sits at the end of the cap which is meant to be moistened with the appropriate solution. I think I have a tiny bit of ph 4 solution but its a few years old. Should I use that or would ph 7 solution work at all for now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Thanks for this I will definitely try make a plan. My ph pen has a thin sponge that sits at the end of the cap which is meant to be moistened with the appropriate solution. I think I have a tiny bit of ph 4 solution but its a few years old. Should I use that or would ph 7 solution work at all for now?

pH 7 solution will be fine until you get some KCL ^_^

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Did your PH-80 not come with a sample packet of the KCI solution? If not just get this : https://designerwater.co.za/product/hm-digital-ph-electrode-storage-solution/

Edited by greenkush