Planning First Outdoor Grow

RampageZA

Hey guys and gals

I'm hoping to get some advice on my grow plan.

The seeds : Sannie's Fem Mix, which is

2x Madberry 

2x Shackzilla

2x Herijuana

Then I'm probably only going to pop 3 to keep it manageable for my first time. 

The pots :

Freedom pots

Starter - 5L

Veg - 10L

Flower - 40L

I'll also be getting some small jiffy pots to start in before transplanting to the 5L

The soil : Freedom Farms Premium Organic Potting Mix.

The grow spot : my courtyard, unfortunately I can't grow in the garden just yet, there's only a fence and some beautiful ladies would be stolen very quickly. The courtyard is out of sight and protected by alarm. It gets about 8 to 9 hours direct sunlight and is protected from heavy winds. It has an awning that I can move the plants under in case of heavy storms.

Questions :

Is going from the 10L to the 40L pot too large of a size difference? 

Any other recommendations for adding to the soil mix from Freedom Farms? 

Hey @RampageZA,

Sounds like a good plan.

Grow all of them ;)

Your pot choice is great, moving from a 10 to 40 is a big change but your plant will enjoy that, try and put them in their final pot a week or so before you think they will switch. I have noticed a much better stretch and general growth if they had time to colonize their new home beforehand. The more root the better! Obviously you want to keep in mind how big your plants can get, as outdoor can produce some tall giants if not managed.

As for FF soil, it is quite light on nutrient in general. If you plan on using the soil straight, it might come up short. You will have to supplement with organic teas, bottled nutrients or both. You can look at topdressing your pots but this is a much slower and not as efficient method.

A few items you can look at : 

-Quick, easy, expensive - Talborne, Biobizz, Greenhousefeed, pre made fertilizer 

-Takes a little longer, more research, cheap - amendments such as Kelp meal, Blackstrap molasses, Alfalfa meal, Insect grass, Bone meal, Guano, Soft rock phosphate, Manure, etc... and all that can also be used in making teas

I have successfully used their soil but it was layered and spiked. In addition teas were fed very 2 weeks or so. It had a lot of extra help.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi RampageZA,

Those are awesome strains you have, Herijuana is my personal favorite. Hope you find a Coffee pheno! Going be beautiful flowers from those ladies.  

Transplanting from 10L to 40L post is fine, the plants will love the extra root space. Be sure that the roots are fully developed, yet not root bound before transplanting. If you can see an abundance of roots just starting to creep along the edge of the pot, but they haven't yet begun to fully circle, you are ready to transplant. If the soil or loose growing media starts to fall apart and there aren't many visible roots, the plant is telling you that it needs a little longer in its current home before being transplanted. Be careful not to overwater new transplants as this will retard root development and keep them out of harsh light for a day or two. 

Keep in mind that the roots grow into the fabric pots, making it extremely difficult to free the root mass when transplanting. 

Rockwool plugs and cubes are a great alternative for starting plants in, they are also extremely easy to transplant and reduce transplant shock.

Before adding your plants to the Freedom Farms soil mix, test a 1 part soil to 1 part water (preferably distilled) for pH and EC. Stir the sample for 5 seconds, let it sit for 15 minutes. Repeat and then take your reading. You can change the pH and EC by adding inert medium to the mix, additives or by flushing with adjusted water. 

Good Luck with the Grow!! 

Edited by TomHill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys :-bow

@GreenMunchkin

Noted on the pot size, was planning to transplant around end January, that should be enough time?

I did suspect that FF soil might be a bit light, thanks for confirming. I was looking at those cheaper amendments and then started going down the road of making my own soil mix. Then that got way too complex and I decided for first grow to go with a pre mixed soil. Any thoughts on living/super soil? 

Also still need to research teas, have just read good things. 

@TomHill

I've never had any of Sannie's strains, but heard so many good things about them and was part of their forums. Can't wait to try Shackzilla, and next time I'm going for Sannie's Jack, always been a Jack Herer fan. 

The 5 and 10 are the velcro one's, should be easier to remove and transplant? Would you recommend rockwool cubes over jiffy pellets? I've read that rockwool cubes are ph neutral and hold water better. Thanks for the excellent advice! 

@Dr. Green

Aztec Rain and Jackberry look amazing! I read that eskobar isn't breeding anymore? I hope it's not true because his strains looked great, Chocolate Rain sounded so good! Have you grown any of Sannie's strains before? I've heard they perform very well in SA and indoors

This took forever to type on my phone! 

:-puffin

images (1).jpeg

@RampageZA 

Shackzilla has a great reputation, should be a killer smoke. 

The velcro should make it easier, the roots will still grow into the fabric. In my experience rockwool is highly recommended for starting seedlings and cuttings in. It is by far the easiest medium with the highest success rate that I have used.  If grown in the 10cm cubes you could go right into the 10L bags with them and skip the 5L. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 9:25 PM, TomHill said:

@RampageZA grown in the 10cm cubes you could go right into the 10L bags with them and skip the 5L. 

Thanks for the tip, that's interesting, being able to skip the 5L would add alot of efficiency to the grow. Not only would I save money on pots, soil and nutes, but it would also mean only 1 transplant out of the fabric. I think you've also sold me on the rockwool cubes, I'll be switching out the jiffy pellets for the cubes. 

@Dr. Green

Sounds like you've had your fair share of Sannie's strains. I've heard they have had quite a bit of influence on our local genetics. Definitely going for Sannie's Jack on the next order. 

Managed to do a bit more research and I've found Jamie's Garden Shop. His Orgasoilux – Potting Soil looks pretty solid. Here's the list of contents

• THERMOPHILIC COMPOST

• COCOPEAT

• PERLITE

• EARTHWORM COMPOST / VERMICOMPOST

• ALFALFA/LUCERNE MEAL

• BIOCHAR

• CRUSHED MALTED BARLEY

• ZEOLITE

• GROWKASHI

• BASALT ROCK DUST

• DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

• SOFT ROCK PHOSPHATE

• KELP MEAL

• SEABIRD GUANO

• GYPSUM

• DOLOMITE LIME

• CALCITIC LIME

Seems to include all the good things?

21 hours ago, RampageZA said:

Thanks for the tip, that's interesting, being able to skip the 5L would add alot of efficiency to the grow. Not only would I save money on pots, soil and nutes, but it would also mean only 1 transplant out of the fabric. I think you've also sold me on the rockwool cubes, I'll be switching out the jiffy pellets for the cubes. 

Yeah, exactly. It saves you a few steps and cash as well as the plant is saved the transplant stress. Be sure to check the pH and EC run off weekly in rockwool. 

Here are some useful, quick video guides ... 

How To Prepare and Pre-soak Rockwool Cubes for Hydroponics—The Right Way!

Rockwool Hydroponics Propagation and Transplanting Complete Guide

Grow Big Plants in Rockwool with Hydroponics!

ATTN: Grodan Growers

14 hours ago, RampageZA said:

Managed to do a bit more research and I've found Jamie's Garden Shop. His Orgasoilux – Potting Soil looks pretty solid. Here's the list of contents

• THERMOPHILIC COMPOST

• COCOPEAT

• PERLITE

• EARTHWORM COMPOST / VERMICOMPOST

• ALFALFA/LUCERNE MEAL

• BIOCHAR

• CRUSHED MALTED BARLEY

• ZEOLITE

• GROWKASHI

• BASALT ROCK DUST

• DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

• SOFT ROCK PHOSPHATE

• KELP MEAL

• SEABIRD GUANO

• GYPSUM

• DOLOMITE LIME

• CALCITIC LIME

Seems to include all the good things?

Jamie has great products and is very knowledgeable. He has all the additives in their own DIY mix that makes 100L - ORGASOILUX Mineral & Nutrient Pack. Mix it with 50-60% Coco coir or Peat moss and 30-45% Compost and Worm castings. I would use peat moss to avoid possible complications with the poor quality of coco coir we get in this country. Coco coir we get here is loaded with potassium (K), sodium (Na). You should be able to find bales of peat moss (280L roughly R700) locally if buying smaller quantities from grow shops won't do.