Sign in to follow this  
Trailblazer420

Hermies

Hey everyone, I have a strain that I've been working on for about 5 years now, but hermies almost every time. Anyone know if this can be stabilized via additional crossing or do I need to start over?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I have a strain that I've been working on for about 5 years now, but hermies almost every time. Anyone know if this can be stabilized via additional crossing or do I need to start over?

Have a chat to Totemic, he makes his own beans and is highly clued up on these things. Not sure how to tag him from Tapatalk

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Im afraid the hermie genes are dominant and the chances of you ever getting it to recess is almost impossible with clandestine breeding.

Cant really say much more except yeah start over with known genetics and you'll stand a better chance of not encountering hermies.

:-peace

• Like 1

3 outdoor plants, 9 indoor plants, all indoor plants seems to be seeding, outdoor, not a single seed. Could it be that this strain simply should not be grown indoors? Could there be hope for my strain yet :)

It could also be that not all seeds are hermies, but because I've only grown indoors, one will infect all. The leftover clones I took and grew outdoors, no issues. Same mother plants clones in the tent hermied.

The best way I can explain the hermie phenomonon in cannabis.

All cannabis plants can "hermie" as they fall into the category of dioecious plants. This simply means that male and female flowers are usually on two different plants. What's interesting to note with almost all plants in this category is their ability to also produce the opposing flowers to ensure the survival of the species. At the very core of it, that is what all living organisms are hardwired for. 

So this really is less of a trait and more genetic hardwiring, a common foundation for the species.

The trigger is stress and this is where the traits come in. The trait is finding the genetic expression that can tollerate the highest amount of stress and not hermie. Some genetic expressions have a low stress threshhold and hermie just by looking at them wrong, while others can withstand massive fussing. 

Also it is interesting that "hermie" is actually a wrong term but so widely used that it is accepted. All your "perfect" flowers are true hermie flowers and defined as having both male and female reproductive parts on a single flowers structure. Cannabis keeps its flower structures distinctly seperate.

So back to the point... stresses can be so subtle that you as a person may never know what the stress was. Regardless, once you have identified a plant "hermies" then you can assume its a stress so yes that genetic expression may not like your indoor environment and need outdoors to feel they arent being threatened.

So the key is finding those plants that can tollerate the most everyday stresses without the survival response kicking in.

All hermies should be discarded to try and eliminate the low stress tollerance trait as it carries over and offspring and genetically even less stress tollerant thus going hermie even easier.

:-peace

a topic near to my heart, have some amazing genetics locked up inside beans made by a fem plant sprouting more nuts than a thai brothel.

they behave well(really well) until about week 10, by week 11 its a sausage fest.

also worth mentioning, the above scenario is almost guaranteed to result in hermies due to the fem seed production process using stress to induce male parts with female chromosomes ,cuts breeding potential down substantially and introduces a dominant stress response "trait" or as totemic put it somewhat better, genetic hardwiring .