Re-introduction

Green Leaf Organics

https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php/topic,595.0.html

Fantastic post btw... I'm kinda guilty of giving my seedling only tap water and did let it go bit dry once, but.... it's doing fine and will now start following this kind of advice especially when I transplant and get those nutrients come pay day....

Saw they had a cheap ph testing kit with a color chart and was thinking of getting it as well

That's a hard one to answere as if you have prepare a organic soil it will have a natural ph it will always like to go back to. If you flush you may solve the problem temporarily but the soil will want to get back to it's natural ph. A problem you may get from from the flush is stress from ph fluctuations and nutrient lockout . If the plant is happy dont mess with ph if its unhappy report into good soil , honestly repotting is the quickest way to solve ph issues in soil. Wash the roots in a dark area , repot it , give it a trim and keep out of direct light for 7 days

No need for a ph pen in organic , havent used mine in years

Depending on what's in your soil. I have recently noticed a label on the Freedom Farms soil advising the soul should be ph between 5.5 and 6.0 which was unusually low according to my research so I sent Derrek a mail. That and the differences in his soil and this was his answer:

Hi Mark

Thanks for your mail

We dont add Lime as Coco coir has a naturally high pH.

Below is the answers to your pH, ingredients and soil difference questions.

Regarding the re-use of the soil - It is recommended only when your using it in a raised bed system i.e large volume containers.

Re-using the soil from a potted plant will most likely not give you the great esults you get from fresh soil. 

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Ideal watering pH for Freedom Farms Growing Mediums: 5.5 – 6.0

Pure coconut coir has a pH between 5.8 - 6.8. A substrate/soil pH of between 5.5 and 6.5 is ideal for nutrient uptake in most plants. Freedom Farms Coco coir is buffered and charged with natural amendmments. The high Calcium content of our amendmments maintains the pH in the 6.5-6.8 range and will prevent a decrease in pH (substrate acidification) resulting from fertilizer application or waterings at a low pH. The soil pH is therefore buffered against decreasing pH. On the other hand, an incremental increase in pH resulting from tap water (pH 7-8.5) use can cause the soil pH to increase above the optimal range for nutrient uptake. The soil pH is therefore not buffered against increasing pH caused by using un-pH’d tap water. Watering with a pH of 5.5-6.0 will ensure the pH of the soil remains in the optimal range of 5.5-6.5.

Organic Classic vs. the Pro Growing Medium

The Organic Classic blend is formulated for organic nutrients (mainly). Later on in the plant's growing cycle you can add inorganic nutrients if you allow for runoff. If you apply inorganic fertilizer from the start you might burn the plant leaves due to EC stress. So we recommend you either just give water at the beginning or the recommended dosage of organic nutrients such as biobizz, seagro, nitrosol, fish hydrolysate or Freedom Farms Microlife. Compared to the Pro, the Classic has a greater Cation exchange capacity, a higher active organic matter content as well as a balanced semi-slow release organic nutrient component. It will also hold water slightly longer, due to its higher coco coir and compost components.

Classic Ingredients: Coco Coir, Worm Castings, Compost, Perlite (10%), Vermiculite, Organic Nutrients, (Volcanic Rock Dust, Bone Meal, Gypsum, Fermented probiotic bran. 

The Pro Growing Medium is a specifically formulated for the application of salt based/inorganic nutrients and allows you to control the nutrient balance more. This mix has no additional nutrients apart from our vibrant base dry amendment mixture (same as in Classic). With the Pro you have to feed a balanced inorganic fertilizer nutrient formulation (which includes all Macro and Micro elements) from the start and apply again as plant requires with development. The Pro has three times more perlite than the Classic which makes it especially suited for fertigation which also allows for growing a larger plant relative to its root system size. Due to the increased aeration and drainage of the Pro, the medium dries out  quicker. Runoff is required with every other nutrient application to avoid salt build-up. In between salt based nutrient applications, organic nutrients can be supplemented to stimulate microbial activity and add the beneficial aspects of organic amendments. 

Pro Ingredients: Coco Coir, Worm Castings, Perlite (30%), Volcanic Rock Dust, Bone Meal, Gypsum, Fermented probiotic bran. 

Kindest regards

Derek

Freedom Farms

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

That's a hard one to answere as if you have prepare a organic soil it will have a natural ph it will always like to go back to. If you flush you may solve the problem temporarily but the soil will want to get back to it's natural ph. A problem you may get from from the flush is stress from ph fluctuations and nutrient lockout . If the plant is happy dont mess with ph if its unhappy report into good soil , honestly repotting is the quickest way to solve ph issues in soil. Wash the roots in a dark area , repot it , give it a trim and keep out of direct light for 7 days

Thank you sir. Your words and knowledge is always appreciated.

What they are saying there is that you must water with a nutrient mix with a ph between 5.5 and 6.0 to keep your soil buffering up to 6.5-6.8. like with most organic soils they can buffer up but not down , so if you water with I mix above 7.0 your soil wont be able to buffer it and will slowly rise and cause nutrient lockout 

Most organic nutrients will lower your 8.1 ph tap water to about 5.6ph which is what they are trying to say on there packaging , water with a low ph and let your soil do the work . Hope this makes sense 

Sorry cant edit my first post for some reason .

If you have  salt buildup a flush with humic acid will help break down the salt

What they are saying there is that you must water with a nutrient mix with a ph between 5.5 and 6.0 to keep your soil buffering up to 6.5-6.8. like with most organic soils they can buffer up but not down , so if you water with I mix above 7.0 your soil wont be able to buffer it and will slowly rise and cause nutrient lockout

Most organic nutrients will lower your 8.1 ph tap water to about 5.6ph which is what they are trying to say on there packaging , water with a low ph and let your soil do the work . Hope this makes sense

If you have  salt buildup a flush with humic acid will help break down the salt

I think this is what happened with my FF soil. I use biobizz and you're right, it takes the pH down to around 5.6/5.7. But for some reason, my runoff was coming out at 7.2

If you only have a week left theres nothing you can do really , those plants are basicly done . Black strap molasses is a good choice to lower your ph when doing the last few plain watering of flower and the the plants are soil love it

I actually switched out the Biogrow for blackstrap after the leaf hook. Thanks again Reaf

If you have  salt buildup a flush with humic acid will help break down the salt

Wow bud, now I truly see the light...thanks for that

Signs of nitrogen toxicity in the last 3 weeks of flower. Flushed at a pH of 6.0, bubbled water 2 weeks ago. She seems happier after that, but i have 1 week left, so I'll have to see what happens Reaf.

Use a lot of Calmag+?

No sir, none. Epsom salts once in a while