LED Options

Dr. Green

Looking at the S2W or Q series but they don't have stock of Q series yet.

I have a Secret Jardin DR90 tent it's only 90cmx90cm so I'm limited in options due to the size of some lights like fluence

Do yourself a favor go to builders, buy some metal tubing of your choice, work out the wattage you want for the room, then buy some of these https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8V521560WW/1510-2221-ND/6624005 and then buy a couple of mean well drivers to power them, depending on what wattage you want to run each strip at you can build yourself one heck of a powerful light for very cheap in comparison to these other products, you could even go for the influx (new) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SL-B8V7N90L1WW/1510-1357-ND/5958916, more efficient. You'd most likely need like perhaps 4 maybe 5 for your grow area? So that's like 1730 for the strips, then just find the mean well LED driver you want. This way you can build the light to your exact needs and add extra if you want.

• Like 1

I have a Secret Jardin DR90 tent it's only 90cmx90cm so I'm limited in options due to the size of some lights like fluence

Do yourself a favor go to builders, buy some metal tubing of your choice, work out the wattage you want for the room, then buy some of these https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8V521560WW/1510-2221-ND/6624005 and then buy a couple of mean well drivers to power them, depending on what wattage you want to run each strip at you can build yourself one heck of a powerful light for very cheap in comparison to these other products, you could even go for the influx (new) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SL-B8V7N90L1WW/1510-1357-ND/5958916, more efficient. You'd most likely need like perhaps 4 maybe 5 for your grow area? So that's like 1730 for the strips, then just find the mean well LED driver you want. This way you can build the light to your exact needs and add extra if you want.

Thanks this is great advice. I will go do some more research on this topic.

Do yourself a favor go to builders, buy some metal tubing of your choice, work out the wattage you want for the room, then buy some of these https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8V521560WW/1510-2221-ND/6624005 and then buy a couple of mean well drivers to power them, depending on what wattage you want to run each strip at you can build yourself one heck of a powerful light for very cheap in comparison to these other products, you could even go for the influx (new) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SL-B8V7N90L1WW/1510-1357-ND/5958916, more efficient. You'd most likely need like perhaps 4 maybe 5 for your grow area? So that's like 1730 for the strips, then just find the mean well LED driver you want. This way you can build the light to your exact needs and add extra if you want.

Thanks this is great advice. I will go do some more research on this topic.

I should add digikey will deliver with UPS World saver I believe which is too your door in a few days, purchases over 2K is usually free. You could build yourself a 500 watt LED (run each strip at 100 w), get U-Channel from builders, mount the strip the flat side of the channel, you could then also get some thermal conductive tape to fasten the strip to the u-channel, get some smaller heat sinks if you want to place inside the channel, even mount some fans on the ends to create an active cool environment, your imagination can wild. You'd just need to see the efficacy vs power ouput, I believe some run them at 75% as the sweet spot, others burn them to hell at 100 watts or more if they can handle it. A meanwell 600H-54b  (https://www.mouser.co.za/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HLG-600H-54B?qs=5pLaOnqdcwNCvIm%2fbJMCow==) is about 211$, 11.2A ouput.  

My new light im building runs off of 3 600H-48B's

Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.  QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now. 

Hate to break it to you, that is where HLG originally got their QB boards manufactured, by Bava or Hansion.

Sure...  I think you misread. I was saying that a new production run of QBs wouldn't be a good idea now. It was a good idea when I did it in June 2017. But now everyone in Shenzhen has caught on, and is sitting on stock of HLG clones, ready to sell. I would rather put my effort into designing something that you can't get from China (yet).

In other words be ahead of the game, which you have been. Have you looked at mixing cobs with some diodes?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.  

Hate to break it to you, that is where HLG originally got their QB boards manufactured, by Bava or Hansion.

Sure...   I think you misread. I was saying that a new production run of QBs wouldn't be a good idea now. It was a good idea when I did it in June 2017. But now everyone in Shenzhen has caught on, and is sitting on stock of HLG clones, ready to sell. I would rather put my effort into designing something that you can't get from China (yet).

In other words be ahead of the game, which you have been. Have you looked at mixing cobs with some diodes?

Mixing cobs and strips is common, even adding some far/deep red for emerson effect.

I'm merely talking from something that's locally available. For me if you aren't able to do it yourself or if you'd like the hassle free route then Im surely going to support homegrown companies if their product is what I'm looking for and reasonably priced and come with some sort of guarantee/warranty. I'd rather support local that continue giving those that don't spend locally, just my thoughts.

• 1 month later...

There are a few options for led light sources, some local to South Africa others not, all components are manufactured in other countries depending on where you source. Even hlg uses diodes produced in Asian factories. They have recently invested in a machine which solders to their pcb’s in the USA so they can claim manafactured in the USA, however the machine which does the soldering I speculate has Asian origins as well.

I currently am employed as a grower at a legal grow operation harvesting what equates to 15 kilos of premium indoor per week. And we incorporate hid and led lighting. Each has advantages put my personal grows will all be led from now on.

There are a few options for led light sources, some local to South Africa others not, all components are manufactured in other countries depending on where you source. Even hlg uses diodes produced in Asian factories. They have recently invested in a machine which solders to their pcb’s in the USA so they can claim manafactured in the USA, however the machine which does the soldering I speculate has Asian origins as well.

I currently am employed as a grower at a legal grow operation harvesting what equates to 15 kilos of premium indoor per week. And we incorporate hid and led lighting. Each has advantages put my personal grows will all be led from now on.

States side? -+ 50kg/month yeah? What kind of photon intensity per square?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,
Can anybod sent

On 8/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, Justin Hemp said:

Just don't buy them from the local hydro shop, rather go directly to Craig the agent. He advertisers the lights on gumtree

Any chance somebody could link me this guy's stuff on Gumtree so I can contact him? 🙂