COBs - Vero, Cree DIY LED

narnia

- since you're a mod, may I ask if it's necessary to tag peeps on reply?]

No need to tag, but with a tag they will received notifications of posts they were tagged in. Alternatively should a user wish to follow a thread the may click the notify button located at bottom or top right, to receive notifications of new post post or replies?

@Gnome I've only looked at the Cree cxb3590, 3070, and Vero29. 

can't find a spec sheet for the COB in the link you've provided, neither there, nor on Sencart's site. Sencart's site only list a 30W COB as highest, but that isonly run at 900mA according to their site. Perhaps they can be run at higher drive currents to reach 50W, or there's something weird going on. 

How many COBs for your build? That linked COB is 6500K spectrum... 

Given the costs for drivers / cooling / some sort of mounting, and if you're importing already, the extra money spent on 'trusted' COBs might be more beneficial. Those are listed at R70 odd, Veros you can grab at around $25, cheaper if don't get the SE version and opt to solder (if you have the tools otherwise that's a purchase), few dollars less if get the prior generation Vero29s rather than the gen 7s. Either should incur 14% VAT from customs, but should be exempt from duty as far as I can tell. Whether you can actually explain that to the customs official, who knows... 

Too long; didn't read version:

Ya you save a few bob on the COBS, but who knows on the efficiency and emitted light. So perhaps if you're only doing a 3 or 4 COB build the extra money is well spent, if you''re going balls deep, then the 4:1 cost ratio may be tempting, you'll still need more drivers, cooling etc. which brings total cost up some.

@Gnome hey bro, I don't / haven't yet. hence starting this thread. All experimental.

Within the thread are some links and info I've found. There was an SA supplier (expensive) I pasted in this thread. The chips should be exempt from duty (link somewhere back in this thread) but may need fight customs if don't have the correct HS code from shipper - drivers I've yet to look into duties.

Make Light is, so far, the only local producer I've seen, with some sweet looking lights, and components, and seem to be expanding (Quantum Boards coming in!). 

Sadly I could only find the one supplier (in this thread somewhere) but given the price in ZAR compared to USD import, haven't bothered confirming whether they hold stock locally.

Citizen will be your best bang for buck

I have built my own grow light, sourced all the part from China

Anyway this is

4 x Citizen CLU048 1212 3000k - CRi80

4 x Citizen CLU048 1216 3500k - CRi90

2 x Meanwell HLG-185-1400B

Passive cooling heatsinks.

Ideal COB holders, think this light set me back a little over R6000.00

The plant in the photo was grown with

2 x Citizen CLU048 1212 3000k - CRi80

1 x Meanwell HLG-185-1400B

Yielded 80g dry = .8gpw 

This was my first grow so that can easily change to 1.0gpw+

So yeah, I would definitely look to source the parts from China.

Locally markup is crazy

IMG_20170521_204831.thumb.jpg.d6eb7739b12e612e2123735731a6e845.jpg

20170507_094941.thumb.jpg.05ad6547623113d34cd4f3aabe84f7a8.jpg

20170425_093356.thumb.jpg.b9a4856124ca0dad002af3a90a9bebc0.jpg

Thanks for your post @WalterW bro!

How'd it work out with customs, any issues? Did you ship/receive all items together?

New build is looking kick ass, will be keen to see what you can pull with 4x + the output. Noted addition of 3500K, is this for varied flowering spectrum, or are you using them to veg as well? 

That first plant was grown in a coco / perlite mix feeding the Nutriplex line from GT Hydro (I used my own feed as the one given by GT Hydro was very weak)

As for the customs part, it was very easy actually the guys I went through actually generate 2 invoices for you.

One with a high amount and one with a lower amount (like $99) for customs purposes, this allows you to send the goods through customs without payin any additional customs duties, a bit naughty but stuff Mr President and all his corrupt members.

3500k I use from start to finish in the grow, the spectrum in the 3500k is perfect I feel for both veg and flower, sure you could do the 6500k if you really want, but I dont see the need.

This was my tent as of yesterday.

20170719_1116531.thumb.jpg.61dd8038b35bb1e9e23d5749e9b8bb6c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks man, he PM'd me. I might well wait until next year as I don't think there is enough time for me to complete my grow.

On a side note I can import the Vero 29/Citizen/Cree3590's if you all would like some I can probably get a decent price. Just not the enclosures/drivers.

If enough people want I can put an order together. Looking at around R700-900 a COB depending on volume and type of COB

Solid for now, but thanks m8. Potentially at a later date.

Ya it's quite difficult sourcing all required components particularly from a single source. Those who stock Veros don't stock Meanwell drivers, those who stock tapped heatsinks don't have Veros, etc. etc. missions.

I'd be interested to see how customs would handle the DIY kits. I assume if you have HR codes for each component, may get off with just the VAT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, yo. 

Haven't seen or researched  COBs with multiple spectra on board. AFAIK they're usually a white light, with the spectrum only altered by a coating of phosphor to get more red. Hence the blue spectra emitting more photons as they don't need to pass through the phosphor coating. COB just means chip on board, so a whole bunch of diodes on one real small board.

Doesn't mean there couldn't be quality COBs using this tech, my knowledge is still limited. My assumption though, would be that unless it's a reputable, known brand, it's suspicious. If the brand of COB isn't mentioned or if there are no tech sheets to find anywhere, highly suspicious.

I know Mars have come out with a fixture which uses COBs and a few diodes. Can't speak to the quality. Assumptions would be cheap shit. COBs were shifted into grow lights more out of DIY. If you look at the quantum boards, they're diodes spaced out on a larger board, which makes more sense. The only reason a COB would hit the 660nm spectrum so hard would be to target growers. Perhaps a bit cynical but yet again this seems like seedy marketing from shitty companies like Mars.

Reference the tech spec sheets and/or find forum posts discussing. Internationally one can purchase Citizen or Vero COBs for I think around $25 per. They're far from being the priciest point of a fixture. Often the heatsinks will run you more if passive, the drivers are expenny, etc. etc.

Yo, yo.

Haven't seen or researched  COBs with multiple spectra on board. AFAIK they're usually a white light, with the spectrum only altered by a coating of phosphor to get more red. Hence the blue spectra emitting more photons as they don't need to pass through the phosphor coating. COB just means chip on board, so a whole bunch of diodes on one real small board.

Doesn't mean there couldn't be quality COBs using this tech, my knowledge is still limited. My assumption though, would be that unless it's a reputable, known brand, it's suspicious. If the brand of COB isn't mentioned or if there are no tech sheets to find anywhere, highly suspicious.

I know Mars have come out with a fixture which uses COBs and a few diodes. Can't speak to the quality. Assumptions would be cheap shit. COBs were shifted into grow lights more out of DIY. If you look at the quantum boards, they're diodes spaced out on a larger board, which makes more sense. The only reason a COB would hit the 660nm spectrum so hard would be to target growers. Perhaps a bit cynical but yet again this seems like seedy marketing from shitty companies like Mars.

Reference the tech spec sheets and/or find forum posts discussing. Internationally one can purchase Citizen or Vero COBs for I think around $25 per. They're far from being the priciest point of a fixture. Often the heatsinks will run you more if passive, the drivers are expenny, etc. etc.

@narnia, guys i dont know what to do anymore regarding a light.. Im confused now..narnia. Were you specifically replying to my post regarding the different spectrums i posted?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Nice topic. How much space was that? 80g dry for one light at 6k? That's a little more than pricey.

Yeah LEDs are expensive off the bat, but you save costs in the long run. Plus they are super stealthy.  And let's not forget Eskom is in what's called a utility death spiral, so electricity is going to get more and more expensive.

With my LED my electricity bill doesn't even notice

narnia[/member], guys i dont know what to do anymore regarding a light.. Im confused now..narnia. Were you specifically replying to my post regarding the different spectrums i posted?

Ya, addressing the COB in your post.

I'll try be more succinct or at least brief; COBs aren't grow lights, they've been adapted by DIYers to be so. Cree have commented how ridiculous they think it is, apparently. Due to this you just don't see a COB, in my knowledge and stand to correction, targeting the Chlorophyll A and B peaks, particularly the red (660nm). They hit *one* spectrum and the CRI rating depicts how close they are to that spectrum. 

Therefore the posted COB *seems* to be produced to target growers. Cynic: why? The tech isn't going that direction.

This doesn't meant there cannot be quality components/fixtures. There have been all along, just using different diodes.

If you just want to purchase something ASAP and don't have time to research or have concern of quality, go with known and used COBs (cree, vero, citizen). If you want best tech (currently) quantum boards. SA only have makelight that I've seen. You can order QB and COB fixtures internationally but customs might hurt you if the HR codes are wrong, particularly on individual components. 

If you want to try and learn some more, watching Greengenes and Growmau5 will help but lots to watch to get head around it. Techtalks on Greengenes channel is good place to start, perhaps.

narnia[/member], guys i dont know what to do anymore regarding a light.. Im confused now..narnia. Were you specifically replying to my post regarding the different spectrums i posted?

Ya, addressing the COB in your post.

I'll try be more succinct or at least brief; COBs aren't grow lights, they've been adapted by DIYers to be so. Cree have commented how ridiculous they think it is, apparently. Due to this you just don't see a COB, in my knowledge and stand to correction, targeting the Chlorophyll A and B peaks, particularly the red (660nm). They hit *one* spectrum and the CRI rating depicts how close they are to that spectrum.

Therefore the posted COB *seems* to be produced to target growers. Cynic: why? The tech isn't going that direction.

This doesn't meant there cannot be quality components/fixtures. There have been all along, just using different diodes.

If you just want to purchase something ASAP and don't have time to research or have concern of quality, go with known and used COBs (cree, vero, citizen). If you want best tech (currently) quantum boards. SA only have makelight that I've seen. You can order QB and COB fixtures internationally but customs might hurt you if the HR codes are wrong, particularly on individual components.

If you want to try and learn some more, watching Greengenes and Growmau5 will help but lots to watch to get head around it. Techtalks on Greengenes channel is good place to start, perhaps.

I've just added a Quantum board along with the cobs, so far with all the hassles in veg the near end result looks okay.

I will be able to give a better judgement on how the Quantum boards (getting another one) perform on the next grow.

I'm also including a strip of the So Red diodes.

8aaa5ae6b2869d019aaba20493532354.jpg6c0700a3cc40741591f20d684d5773da.jpgec25f68880164ff2b674fe95ad8e2a50.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk