Newlands / Table Mountain Spring Water

narnia

Thanks m8, much appreciated.

I have seen other data online (which is a little different and am just hoping to find a base) as are SWIM's pH readings. EC is nominal at 0.1  - do you have any experience with the water? SWIM's getting some lockout/up issues supplementing Ca (and Mg) in a coco grow. No issues in DWC.  

Analysis data appears real low, unless there is something I am overlooking on the report. SWIM must not have washed the coco thoroughly enough before charging.

Anyone who's interested, there's a more tech report here, in Table 1 which may be a bit messy to copy pasta here : https://davidsugarman.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/investigation-into-the-water-quality-of-castle-beer-and-its-main-water-source/

• 3 weeks later...

I found it had a higher PH value than the tap water I pulled on the same day. Less calcium I think, as this is added to tap water, but definitely more natural minerals and some extra iron I think.

That and the mission involved in collecting from the newlands spring is actually too much. I dont use the regular spring as well, there is a 2nd spring further up the mountain where you can collect at any time of the day/night. I collect about 100lts purely for drinking, every month or so.. Havent drank tap water in a long time actually... and no runny stomach either (pretty positive i was getting it from tap water, and parents confirmed same thing a few days ago when down here for a visit).

I know somebody that only fed his plants spring water though without issue.

Can't drink tap water after the spring. Even brita filtered watered is shite. 

They've added more taps to the SAB point, though the pressure seems to have decreased ::) - on Springs Rd it's been real busy when I've gone passed, perhaps just bad timing. PVC at Springs, perhaps SAB point has some copper trace from the piping and if they're pumping it something else. EC 0.1, pH 6.5ish on budget pen my tap water is usually over 7 (with EC 0.2), you're getting a nice (?) tap water source.... 

The linked report had a detailed breakdown on trace elements and such. It's a bit long winded but there's a table with deets if you flick through. Lower on mag and lower on calcium, lower on iron (depending), good zinc, etc. etc.

Agreed it's a mission. Timed right, though, can stroll right up to a tap, fill, and bail, which is mission enough.

Can't drink tap water after the spring. Even brita filtered watered is shite.

They've added more taps to the SAB point, though the pressure seems to have decreased ::) - on Springs Rd it's been real busy when I've gone passed, perhaps just bad timing. PVC at Springs, perhaps SAB point has some copper trace from the piping and if they're pumping it something else. EC 0.1, pH 6.5ish on budget pen my tap water is usually over 7 (with EC 0.2), you're getting a nice (?) tap water source....

The linked report had a detailed breakdown on trace elements and such. It's a bit long winded but there's a table with deets if you flick through. Lower on mag and lower on calcium, lower on iron (depending), good zinc, etc. etc.

Agreed it's a mission. Timed right, though, can stroll right up to a tap, fill, and bail, which is mission enough.

Hit springs road when its raining... I filled everything in 5 minutes and nobody goes when its raining. this Sunday should piss down and I am down to my last 15 lts of drinking water.

Maybe I had a bad PH reading, was above 8, then again, could have been my faulty pen, went through about 3 of them during that period. I use about 1/4, 1/3 tap water and the rest comes from my borehole.

But yeah, nothing compares to drinking the spring water, bottled, tap, filtered, RO... the spring is by far the best!

@Trickerst You'll be fine :)  can park real close if at the right time. You can get containers all over the place, really.  Mambos maybe best bet? Not worth missioning to Mambos though as can prob grab from any hardware store.

Two 10l bottles is easy to carry. 

Two 25l bottles is manageable but need some grunt. If filling more than 25l at SAB, they make you join the back of the queue again. Meaning: 25 liter max per person, so need to queue again if want more than 25l.

Smoke a bowl before you go or you may just hate life after queuing with all the grumpy bastards.

@Trickerst You'll be fine :)  can park real close if at the right time. You can get containers all over the place, really.  Mambos maybe best bet? Not worth missioning to Mambos though as can prob grab from any hardware store.

Two 10l bottles is easy to carry.

Two 25l bottles is manageable but need some grunt. If filling more than 25l at SAB, they make you join the back of the queue again. Meaning: 25 liter max per person, so need to queue again if want more than 25l.

Smoke a bowl before you go or you may just hate life after queuing with all the grumpy bastards.

geez theyve gotten strict. That said though, guys would rock up with a million containers and their family to form a supply line from bakkie to tap while everyone else waits. Some people have zero consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

When I do get water from the spring it is: 

0.1mS (EC - so TDS is x700 right? ppm x500? Therefore 70ppm on TDS meter?)

pH 6.2 - 6.5 

That is from the SAB point, so perhaps there could be mild fluctuation on Springs rd. pH readings may fluctuate from temp / oxygenation, or merely my pH pen.

When I do get water from the spring it is:

0.1mS (EC - so TDS is x700 right? ppm x500? Therefore 70ppm on TDS meter?)

pH 6.2 - 6.5

That is from the SAB point, so perhaps there could be mild fluctuation on Springs rd. pH readings may fluctuate from temp / oxygenation, or merely my pH pen.

I just topped up again, will take another reading.

• 1 month later...

Last batch came in at pH 5.5 

Batch prior pH 5.9

Some batches of late have had an increase of EC to 0.2 and/or bouncing 0.1-0.2

Verified with drops and re-calibration of meter.

Whether there is some leeching into the water source, from the rain, I wouldn't know. Any ideas? I think I may just stick to tap water as I'm assuming it's a bit more of an unknown with the spring of late.