Germinating in soil

The last time I grew some plants I used the " pop it in a cup of water overnight method " and then let the viable seeds sit in a sprouter until they developed taproots. It worked ok.

I had a couple of weak plants that started off with strangely shaped cotyledons and stunted first leaves.

This time I'm going straight into soil ( grow green organics potting soil.) Damp but not saturated. Planted exactly 1.5 cm in the soil.

They are currently in a dark, warm spot ( for 6hrs) then under 24 hr 105w T5 CFL lights until I see green ;-)

2x Dinafem California Hash Plants and 3x mixed seeds from a buddy.

a0afe806d9980b0b039e71ae44e456b9.jpg

Congrats BD! You must be proud hope she brings u heavy nugs

Very Happy!!  Now all I need is for the other 3 to germinate and I will be ecstatico:-)))))

I finally got their veg room sorted so as soon as they get transplanted I'm gonna pop them in there.

Guest Slummies

Awesome man, well done!

I also germ in soil as I dont like to mess with the seed and have to move it.

Do you soak your seeds over night? I have had great success without soaking but have tried it as I feel the sprout quicker. I have had 100% success rate with and without soaking.

Very Happy!!  Now all I need is for the other 3 to germinate and I will be ecstatico:-)))))

I finally got their veg room sorted so as soon as they get transplanted I'm gonna pop them in there.

That's the spirit 😁 a game of patience determination and nurturing that defines a grower.

Peace

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Awesome man, well done!

Do you soak your seeds over night? I have had great success without soaking but have tried it as I feel the sprout quicker. I have had 100% success rate with and without soaking.

Golden rule of germination right there. Don't mess with things, that's why the high success rate . Kudos

Awesome man, well done!

I didn't soak them @slummies. I want to do each aspect of this grow with as little messin around as possible. Simple. Glad you too have been successful with the straight -to- soil method. After all, no one sifts the soil and lays the seeds in a moist towel in nature ;-)

That's the spirit a game of patience determination and nurturing that defines a grower.

Peace

for sure. Been working on the soil that they're going to be going into for the past few weeks. Can't wait to see how they take to it! The last grow, a few plants got damaged by over enthusiastically added amendments. This time I'm preparing the soil way ahead of time.

Yay, how long will they stay in these pots? What type of lighting will you veg with? Have you tried brewing compost teas?

The 2 early sprouters are in 14 cm pots now.

Potting soil /pearlite/cocopeat.

That's the two California Hash Plants.

The other  3 will stay where they are until their serrated leaves are a bit bigger and they have a bit more root. Then into the same mix of soil as above, probably on Thursday.

The soil I have cooking is all my soil from 4 fabric grow bags - around 80l soil. I've added a bit of lava rock dust, dolomite lime, bone meal(organic), a bit of basmati rice , a lot of pearlite a small bit of organic compost activator.  Got some worm castings from my worm farm coming in soon.

Had a bucket of oyster shells lying outside in the sun for the last few months. Going to crush half and pulverize half and add that to the mix. Not the whole lot. Just a handful or so.

Getting alfalfa meal and kelp meal on Friday. And hopefully a good clean composted manure.

When I transplant in a few weeks time. I'll have the lower half of the grow bag full of the real potent stuff and a milder mix on top.

Still deciding whether to dry mulch or grow a cover crop like clover and alfalfa. I'm leaning to the cover crop, I love seeing the happy critters in my grow.

It's a medicinal grow so I'm wanting it as clean and potent as possible.

Respect brother. That's one tasty scrumptious soil mix you got simmering there.

Let's hope. I'm no pro so it's all hopefully ok.

It may all be totally irrelevant by tomorrow morning though. We were evacuated because of the huge fires on the garden route...

Fires are on the farm we live on. But well contained by awesome fire department. Next door wiped out. Plantation across the hill is wiped out.

We will see what the morning brings. Babies still going like a rocket when I checked this morning.

Pretty stoked though. In all the chaos I took delivery of my CMH lights courtesy of @growguru.

Cheers guys

Sleep well