First Time Grow - Questions

Blazed

Hi all.

I am planning to grow my own. Sorry if these question sound too technical, but I'm a total nubie! :)

I would appreciate any info regarding the following questions:

1 - What are the approximate costs (South Africa) of setting up a basic indoor grow?

2 - What are the apprx. monthly electricity and nutrient costs per plant?

3 - If I grow in a cupboard, in my room, will the room smell? Will the smell pervade the rest of the house?

4 - How big and wide will the plant get indoors?

5 - If I purchase Feminized or auto-flowering seeds, will I only need a single seed to produce a plant?

6 - Will I only get one harvest from Feminized or auto-flowering seeds? I ask this because when I've bought indoor bud, I never find any seeds!

Many thanks.

Hi all.

I am planning to grow my own. Sorry if these question sound too technical, but I'm a total nubie! :)

I would appreciate any info regarding the following questions:

1 - What are the approximate costs (South Africa) of setting up a basic indoor grow?

2 - What are the apprx. monthly electricity and nutrient costs per plant?

3 - If I grow in a cupboard, in my room, will the room smell? Will the smell pervade the rest of the house?

4 - How big and wide will the plant get indoors?

5 - If I purchase Feminized or auto-flowering seeds, will I only need a single seed to produce a plant?

6 - Will I only get one harvest from Feminized or auto-flowering seeds? I ask this because when I've bought indoor bud, I never find any seeds!

Many thanks.

1. Roughly R8000 for a 80 x 80 tent, 400w HPS with digital ballast and all the ducting fans and filters etc. (good for 2 decent sized plants or 4 smaller ones)

2. Nutes will be about R800 but will last you for more than one grow with the above setup. Electricity will be around R300 extra pm.

3. I'm not a fan of cupboard grows, and yes there will be a smell in flower.

4. Depends on a few variables. Strain. Experience. Veg time. Pot size. Just a few things to consider. Stick to indica dominant strains for a first grow I think. They are easier.

5. Yes. As long as it germinates and doesn't hermie on you. I'm not a fan of autos though.

6. You can reveg a plant (after harvesting, switch back to veg lighting schedule and veg nutes) or you can take clones to keep the strain going.

I hope that helps bud, and welcome to the site.

Just to add to number 1:

If u plan to grow in a cupboard your cost will come down since you don't need the tent. A closet space is also a good place to try out a CFL grow. The bulbs are decently priced and u can get away with less ventilation. I don't recommend skimping on ventilation but there is less heat involved and your first grow won't cost that much. 

Check out CerealKillas thread on project Alice as he did an epic CFL grow

Welcome @Blazed.

What I've learnt here is that weed is your friend, it just grows. The mense here are duidels and you'll learn a shitload. There's no such thing as a stupid question so feel free to ask anyone. You're in good hands. As you go along, you'll get to know you plant/s and questions will become less frequent.

As Cheese420 said, you can check out my 1st grow. Lotsa noob errors, but I got better with time. Looking forward to your grow journal pal!

@CerealKilla

Thank you so much.

I truly appreciate the encouragement and warm reception!

It's so nice to get a local growing perspective. Especially regarding costs associated with local grows. That sorta info is hard to find online as most grow details are centred around American and European communities!

I am already learning so much. :)

Thanks again!