HPS lamps

jacks

Eta

Flippen just checked pricing of HPS lamps, my gawd. Looking for HPS sunmaster 250 watts, any recommendations for best price and delivery. Loaned some guy my equipment on basis to sell, eventually got it back with further mileage and no bulbs, no worries cause they were probably past expiry. But looking at R2000  just for bulbs.

http://hortishop.co.za/product/hps-venture-high-output/

http://gthydro.co.za/products/101-bulb-hps-250w-hor.html

http://growguru.co.za/shop/250w-hps-lamp/

Any other ideas?

Guest kimcarsons

Colour temp? Cos that also makes a difference remember... For those not following, I'm trying to demonstrate that although PAR is valuable, it is also subject to a number of variables that does not necessarily equate into "better" lighting.

If you wanting the lumatek bulbs you will have to import them. The best local hps bulbs you can get are osram plantastar , I use them as backup bulbs. The osrams are great for veg as well as the produce 30% extra blue light , I feel they better than cheap mh for veg. 

If you looking for cheap just go to your electrical wholesaler like vortex and buy an hps , why will be the cheapest.

The real difference in bulbs comes on when you running multiple bulbs in flower. For example if you cheap bulb puts out say 5000 less luman it's not a huge train smash with one bulb , not the best but livable . Say then you run 5 bulbs each loosing 5000 luman all of a sudden you are loosing a lot of luman and wasting a lot of energy the plant could be using for the same amount of power used... hope this makes sense .

Cheers

GLO

Guest kimcarsons

That loss may effect people running high co2 and perfect environments, but I'm willing to bet, even on the large scale, the user error is greater than 25%.

Yes and no. While I do agree to a point it's also the fact that unfortunately not all bulbs are created equally . I have run cheap bulbs and the more expencive bulbs next to each other and you can see a noticeable difference . Weather it be from specrun or lumans , there is a different.

By using a low quality bulb from the start you are handy capping yourself from the start , if your intentions are to just get a few grows under your belt  then just go for a cheapy but if you are aiming for AAA+ quality the bulb will play a large role.

Basicly low quality will do the job but a good high quality bulb will do it better.

Ps it's also good to remember that with digital ballasts becoming more popular not all hps bulbs will work effectively due to the much higher frequently rate they operate at. That's why I try stick to ones designed for digital ballasts are the seem to last longer.