Author Topic: Avocado grafting  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Heisenberg

• Vegging Bush
Avocado grafting
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
Anyone perhaps have a fully matured avocado tree that I can graft from?

Offline 420SA

• Admin
Re: Avocado grafting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:42:59 PM »
The avo drought getting to you HB? :-puffin

Offline Heisenberg

• Vegging Bush
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
The avo drought getting to you HB? :-puffin
Lol Bro! You dont wana know! Hahaha

But yeah, i've got a small Avo tree that needs grafting so it can get bigger and produce some avo's. Found out avo's grown from seed only produce fruit after 15 - 20 years of maturity!

Offline Green Leaf Organics

• Switched Over
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
Would be easier to take  a cutting and root it. It's also very late in the season to be taking cuttings from an avo , usually you want to do it in spring when there is lots of new growth on the tree. Also good to remember even from cutting or grafting it could take up to 7 years to produce fruit. If you get really desperate I can check my tree to see if there any viable placing to take cutting .

Offline Heisenberg

• Vegging Bush
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:34:13 PM »
Would be easier to take  a cutting and root it. It's also very late in the season to be taking cuttings from an avo , usually you want to do it in spring when there is lots of new growth on the tree. Also good to remember even from cutting or grafting it could take up to 7 years to produce fruit. If you get really desperate I can check my tree to see if there any viable placing to take cutting .
Thanx GLO! Im not in a hurry, i can wait till your tree starts budding. 7 years is better than 20 years! :) We'll pick this up in spring then thanx

Offline CerealKilla

• Forum Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Sjoe guys, avo's always make me laugh hey! My sister had 2 huge avo trees at her place, when I was muuuuuch younger I was playing outside under said tree. Those avo's are hard hey! One of them plikked me on the kop, hahaha! That thing must've hit like an asteroid. THAT KNOB THOUGH!

Offline Heisenberg

• Vegging Bush
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
Should change your name to AvoKilla

Offline CerealKilla

• Forum Mod
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
Hahahaha! I was a victim bro

Offline Asem

• Just Germed
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »
This is actually very intresting.. Looked into it a wile back.. Hb it will be faster if you got at least 2-3 trees in the same fisinaty ( slaughter that word). Avos do polinate themself but you always get the odd ones that dont.. This way you will get rewarded sooner than later.. Also, you can buy young avo trees from zz something, the tomato guys.. They have loads of info online..

Offline Heisenberg

• Vegging Bush
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
This is actually very intresting.. Looked into it a wile back.. Hb it will be faster if you got at least 2-3 trees in the same fisinaty ( slaughter that word). Avos do polinate themself but you always get the odd ones that dont.. This way you will get rewarded sooner than later.. Also, you can buy young avo trees from zz something, the tomato guys.. They have loads of info online..
Thanx for the info man.

Offline Jland

• Vegging Bush
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
Should change your name to AvoKilla
Lol ;D