SA native strains.

sterling

Hi All

I'm a UK outdoor grower. We have different outdoor conditions here but Sensi Seeds Durban has always been popular. I think it was heavily worked on and has some early dutch strains in the Mix to help it mature earlier before the weather turns. Now I'm interested in sourcing the original Durban myself.

I'm wondering what everyones opinion of the best SA genetics are and where the best native weed comes from? I had a friend many years ago who sent me some Rooi bart in the post all the way to the UK! It was great actually and not like the Skunk strains we are used to here.

I wanted to source some seeds myself and mix them with some of our outdoor genetics. I was thinking of a trip to SA myself just for a week to look about and pick up some seeds. Where should I start and what is the local law regarding cannabis seeds? I think I've missed the boat this year though. It would be good to come when the plants are being harvested. How easy is it to access cannabis grows?

Cheers.

Here in South Africa every single part of the plant is illegal.

Grows are quite well protected and I think it's unlikely that you would come across any commercial grows without some connections and speaking a native African language. At the moment Nguni seeds is one of the few seedbanks working with more native African Strains.

Hi and welcome to our forum Sterling.

Another issue you will face with trying to get our native strains such as Durban, is that it's pretty much of the map, unless you have an old time connection who might have some seeds stored.

Even us South Africans struggle to get original seeds.

Awe

Thanks

Interesting to hear that all parts of the plant are illegal. Seeds in the UK are most definitely legal. The are commonly used as fish bate as well and you can buy big bags of them if you want.

That Seedbank Nguni looks like a great place to pick up some Durban.

I'm having trouble sending PM's. Can anyone help me with this?

Cheers.

Hi Sterling

If you're brave enough and patient enough to develop the contacts, you could do a trip through Swaziland. There are literally plantations everywhere if you go looking deep enough and your chances of coming across some potential Landraces are quite high. You really have to make an expedition of it though.

How are you experiencing PM issues?

I'm trying to send a PM message as a reply. I get no reply and it is not showing up in the sent file despite saying it has been sent. No record of it anywhere.

I hear swaziland is full of plantations. Would be good to go sometime. Seems like it isn't that far from Johannesburg?

Hi bud

I think you need to step back a bit and think about this . We are not a 1st world country and I would not recommend you just go wondering around Swaziland unless you want to become another crime statistic . You have to know people otherwise you are going to be taken for a ride.... it's not like there just plantations everywere ... they are hard to find ... I have spent a lot of time in Swaziland and would not recommend anyone just going looking these days , those plantations are now highly protected and deep in the mountains.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Reaf

Hi 

Thanks I thought this. I think at the moment my strain hunting ambitions in SA would amount to no more than pulling seeds out of deals I could score in different areas. Theoretically! I could probably hop on a plane and be there in a week if I really felt inclined. If I could get more organised it would be great to see a real plantation though. I'm right in thinking the harvest isn't till next March now right?

The Nguni seed bank does look promising. I can see myself ordering some Durban seeds from there.

What is your preference btw. Grass from swaziland other strains like Durban?

Cheers.

Guest spootch

It would make for an awesome adventure tho and putting in the time would probably bring results!I haven't been to Swazi tho but Def give the transkie some thought! not to far south tho! popular places like coffee bay is mushroom country and not so .much cannabis a little further North off the map is where u will find proper growers although most of there stuff is genetics given to them and not land race but again if you know what u looking for it is there

Hi

This topic made me think of a documentary I watched over the weekend with some friends. I have not finished the GHS series but it looks epic. I just received my order from nguni seeds and already growing them in a shade netted grow house with other vegetables. I am currently growing a  few african strains, lucky packet from nguni, and some personal crosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrPgk9AUzho