How can you tell the strain...?

Skotene

Greetings

Newb Question: I was wondering if for interests sake I managed to get hold of some buds via someone that knows someone but that first someone didn't know of what strain the bud was, would it be possible to identify the strain by looking at the bud? Or how would one go about identifying the strain if you did not know the strain of the plant in the first place... Can it even be done or would one need to see the mature plant in situ ?

:-peace

I reckon if you don't know the original strain name you will battle to find out what it is.

Unless you grow a cheese which its characteristics are easily identifiable. Small buds on  stem, no big colas and shortish plants depending on training. And it will have a distinct smell.

One thing you can definitely tell is if its a Sativa Dominant, Indica Dominant or a Hybrid.

From there you need to go with the finished product in deciphering  what she might be, from smell, look, growth pattern and taste.

Only way to learn is to grow as much as you can and take note of all the variables and note them. then you will be able to try and identify what you have.

But I also say that if you don't actually see it come out of its original packaging from a reputable seed bank. you will never actually know what it is.

Peace

Guest Maxwell
But I also say that if you don't actually see it come out of its original packaging from a reputable seed bank. you will never actually know what it is.

That's pretty much all there is to it imo. You could get a general guess in the right direction, but genetic variation is too diverse to be able to say with utmost confidence one way or another. I've had buds from the same plant that smoked differently, because they were lower/higher/stunted/damaged etc. Unless you've had first hand experience with the plant (From package opening to harvest) how can you know the truth? 

I reckon if you don't know the original strain name you will battle to find out what it is....

Peace

Thank you, Interesting info  :-clap  at this stage I take what ever I can get through my mates, until my ladies have grown up I will be at the mercy of the unknown strain...  :poke

Thank you Maxwell,

Thank you, I suspected the same, sadly, I haven't managed to procure any seed bank or known strain seeds, all I have is the odd seed I have found in and amongst my odd buy from mates,  :-bankie

One day I will be brave enough to explore the buying of quality seeds over the net...

Guest Maxwell

Don't worry dude. LOADS of people order online and have no issues. If you are in the Cape then you're pretty screwed cos of their customs but elsewhere it's easy. Order directly from a breeder or reputable bank and in a couple of weeks you'll have good genetics in hand. (OFC subject to our postal services)

Am in KZN, next question would be who would be the closets or best to use should I want to order? Have seen Nguni, and greensmoke are there any others or suggested outlets.. would love to get my hands on some northern lights and or some other nice strains, as I use mostly for a range of different medical reasons, from PTSD to Depression to insomnia etc.. my local junk I am getting to make my butter is nasty (1 0 0 for two hands), too many pips and twigs etc, my spliff stash is better but I can't get the volumes I need to make butter... Thus one or two plants of a decent strain would help greatly in my butter making.

Peace!

Guest Maxwell

Just order from an overseas breeder or bank imo. You can be sure of the contents as well as your information. It is highly unlikely that Attitude or the likes are going to be working with our Police or that our Police could get your information.