Extraction methods in SA

Skotene

Greetings Fellow 'erb Enthusiasts ,

Being a new convert to the way of weed, my "experience" is relatively limited to the online research I have done, so bear with me please if I ask lame or silly questions,

In the US they use naptha or Everclear to extract oils from the buds to make their concentrated oil, I was wondering what the equivalent would be here in SA , my browsing hasn't shown up anything with a high proof or content that can be used? I recently used some vodka as a test and with a batch of scruffy unknown weed I got from my local, I managed a small yield of pretty low quality oil, that I used as a tincture on my dogs tumour op, in co ordination with the daily edible dosage he gets for his arthritis. So, basically the question would be is there anything out there that is easily available to the man on the street so to speak that could be used for extraction?

:-peace

Guest Maxwell

Butane or Iso, the purer the better. Iso is better to start with as you can't blow your face off. But if you're unfamiliar with the process, tread carefully, poor quality oils can do more harm than good.  :-peace

Hi Skotene

You can get Butane at most tobacconists. Newport is the best brand available at the moment that I know of, But as long as you purge your extract properly you can get most of the solvent out, if using a lesser quality butane.

ISO is available at most dis-chems but you want as close to 99% or higher if you can attain it.

Remember you have to purge it properly to have a safe product. test a small sample with a flame and see if it ignites. if so, purge more.

AND MOST OF ALL. BE SAFE. DON'T EXTRACT INDOORS WITHOUT PROPER VENTILATION. NO OPEN FLAMES, SPARKS OR ANY IGNITION SOURCE. ALWAYS EXTRACT OUTDOORS IN NOT USING A CLOSED LOOP SYSTEM.

PEACE

Guest Maxwell

Extraction must be done as best as possible imo. The better the material and process, the better the extract. When working with solvents, the purer the better, always. Extracts will be as pure as you make them and going over board in one process to compensate for the lack of another, does not quite cut it imo. Solvents are nasty things and not something you want to be inhaling- we've all seen the glue kids- and so a poor quality solvent doesn't mean you just need to purge for longer. There are a variety of chemicals that can remain behind after a purge. Then of course you should ideally be using higher quality materials, or at least materials that you know the history of. Shop-stock can be contaminated with any number of pesticides and chemicals which could end up in your extract too, the fact is you just can't know. When blasting, as everyone says, a well ventilated area is important, but so is hygiene. Blasting on your stoep while the dog shits in the yard is a great way to introduce dust or contaminants to your extract. Organic Chemistry is some deep shit so make sure you don't fuck around with the infinite  :-peace

• 3 weeks later...