LED Options

Dr. Green

New member here from the Cape of Good Dope.

I saw a post on 420 magazine forums where there were some of you guys posting grows.

I have setup a Secret Jardin DR90 my ventilation and everything is sorted all that I need is proper lights and that's why I am here.

I would love to hear your opinions on the local quantum boards from growopz vs the SANlight s2w's.

Importing HLG boards seems like such a waste having to pay shipping and taxes and I'm not sure I trust the alibaba boards.

I run both the Quantum Boards and cobs from Growopz and I'm really satisfied at the results. Just make sure you have a nice mix of Kelvin. The Sanlight is also a great option albeit I run 2 of the small 30 Watters in my veg box, considering it's only 60 watts I get some good development out of them. I can't comment on using them in flower though.

Just don't buy them from the local hydro shop, rather go directly to Craig the agent. He advertisers the lights on gumtree

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Whats good man! i am new here too, new to growing aswell

i am currently running 2 x QB60s 3000k from GrowOpz only covering a single plant. The pair have been running for the last two weeks and it was very easy to notice the difference moving from CFLs to QBs

I might not be much help, but if you have any questions ill try my best to help you out!

Thanks guys.

I already contacted the guy from Sanlight via gumtree and saw his price is better that hortishop.

I have my doubts about growopz.com not because of anything they have done but just due to all the debate regarding quantum boards from alibaba vs the Real boards from HLG. I wonder if growopz.com got their boards off alibaba I kinda think they did.

However 3k plus for a 60w light is kinda steep I would need atleast 4 of them which will cost much more than the boards on growopz.com.

I'm an outdoor guy so this is my first run under 250hps and 140w cfl

Thanks guys.

I already contacted the guy from Sanlight via gumtree and saw his price is better that hortishop.

I have my doubts about growopz.com not because of anything they have done but just due to all the debate regarding quantum boards from alibaba vs the Real boards from HLG. I wonder if growopz.com got their boards off alibaba I kinda think they did.

However 3k plus for a 60w light is kinda steep I would need atleast 4 of them which will cost much more than the boards on growopz.com.

I'm an outdoor guy so this is my first run under 250hps and 140w cfl

I don't think you'll be disappointed running 4 of these in your space, chat to them and gather opinions

Thanks for the positive reviews

Dr. Green[/member], regarding the QBs:

I verified the authenticity of the LM561C diodes as S6 bin.  There was more than one manufacturer I interviewed who claimed to use S6, but upon investigation, was actually using S0 bin, which meant a mix bag of S4/S5/S6 diodes.  In the end, I went with a medium sized company who charged 30% more than the cheapest quote.  Their pick-and-place machine did an immaculate job, and since our thermal management is overkill, using Meanwell drivers and SUNON Maglev fans, I haven't had any issues or complaints from QB customers yet, with about 75% of stock sold out now.  

Thanks for the positive reviews

Dr. Green[/member], regarding the QBs:

I verified the authenticity of the LM561C diodes as S6 bin.  There was more than one manufacturer I interviewed who claimed to use S6, but upon investigation, was actually using S0 bin, which meant a mix bag of S4/S5/S6 diodes.  In the end, I went with a medium sized company who charged 30% more than the cheapest quote.  Their pick-and-place machine did an immaculate job, and since our thermal management is overkill, using Meanwell drivers and SUNON Maglev fans, I haven't had any issues or complaints from QB customers yet, with about 75% of stock sold out now.  

Thank you for the feedback growopz. I'm unfortunately not in a position to make a purchase right away. Please tell me you have plans to get more boards when these are done?

It's also not 3k for a 60 watt it's only R13007c77561b5a909b42695683e91cd02e09.jpg

I was referring to the SANlight s2w which is 62watts.  I see sanlight also has a Q series for grow tents but those probably clear 10k each they can however be upgraded with sanlight in future.

My plants are stretching like crazy under this 250w hps and 140w cfl

Dr. Green[/member]

Yeah, vs. Sanlights, the QBs are a bargain.  Efficiency-wise, the Sanlight website claims 2.9uMol/J module efficiency (i.e. before driver losses). The only other manufacturer claiming 2.9uMol/J is Philips GreenPower, and those things cost a fortune.  Judging from the pictures, it's a 2 warm white : 3 red (660nm) spectrum, using Oslon SSL 150 with secondary optics.  Their secondary optics are pretty cool - more even rectangular distribution.  Oslon SSL radiant efficiency is 59% for reds, which is superb, but OSRAM's best white is only 151 lm/W (vs. 185lm/W for LM561C driven at 3/4 power, for same colour temperature). The estimates I've seen on rollitup for LM561C (QB) are between 2.4-2.8uMol/J.  

I am changing direction slightly, with my next order, which I'll discuss in a few weeks, when it's more certain.  (The rand is tanking hard, and will probably kill my plans if it reaches R15.50/$.)  Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.   

Dr. Green[/member]

Yeah, vs. Sanlights, the QBs are a bargain.  Efficiency-wise, the Sanlight website claims 2.9uMol/J module efficiency (i.e. before driver losses). The only other manufacturer claiming 2.9uMol/J is Philips GreenPower, and those things cost a fortune.  Judging from the pictures, it's a 2 warm white : 3 red (660nm) spectrum, using Oslon SSL 150 with secondary optics.  Their secondary optics are pretty cool - more even rectangular distribution.  Oslon SSL radiant efficiency is 59% for reds, which is superb, but OSRAM's best white is only 151 lm/W (vs. 185lm/W for LM561C driven at 3/4 power, for same colour temperature). The estimates I've seen on rollitup for LM561C (QB) are between 2.4-2.8uMol/J.  

I am changing direction slightly, with my next order, which I'll discuss in a few weeks, when it's more certain.  (The rand is tanking hard, and will probably kill my plans if it reaches R15.50/$.)  Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.  

Thanks for the input and information growopz I'm looking forward to see what your plans are. I hope it all works out we need locals doing what you do

• Agree 1

Migro posted a video on efficiency a while ago. Very interesting. San Lights was one of the light with the highest efficiencies but not close to what they claimed. They did test the S4W though.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw the video yesterday. I noticed in one of the comments that a reader felt the sanlight had been disadvantaged due to the equipment used not being able to read far red values.

It's so weird that there is so little information in the Internet about sanlight

Migro posted a video on efficiency a while ago. Very interesting. San Lights was one of the light with the highest efficiencies but not close to what they claimed. They did test the S4W though.

Yeah I saw the video yesterday. I noticed in one of the comments that a reader felt the sanlight had been disadvantaged due to the equipment used not being able to read far red values.

It's so weird that there is so little information in the Internet about sanlight

Maybe drop them a mail and ask for some testimonials, if they are not hiding anything they should be more than will to hand over a few companies who in turn could confirm if they are any good.

Dr. Green[/member]

Yeah, vs. Sanlights, the QBs are a bargain.  Efficiency-wise, the Sanlight website claims 2.9uMol/J module efficiency (i.e. before driver losses). The only other manufacturer claiming 2.9uMol/J is Philips GreenPower, and those things cost a fortune.  Judging from the pictures, it's a 2 warm white : 3 red (660nm) spectrum, using Oslon SSL 150 with secondary optics.  Their secondary optics are pretty cool - more even rectangular distribution.  Oslon SSL radiant efficiency is 59% for reds, which is superb, but OSRAM's best white is only 151 lm/W (vs. 185lm/W for LM561C driven at 3/4 power, for same colour temperature). The estimates I've seen on rollitup for LM561C (QB) are between 2.4-2.8uMol/J.  

I am changing direction slightly, with my next order, which I'll discuss in a few weeks, when it's more certain.  (The rand is tanking hard, and will probably kill my plans if it reaches R15.50/$.)  Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.  

Hate to break it to you, that is where HLG originally got their QB boards manufactured, by Bava or Hansion.

Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.  

Hate to break it to you, that is where HLG originally got their QB boards manufactured, by Bava or Hansion.

Sure...   I think you misread. I was saying that a new production run of QBs wouldn't be a good idea now. It was a good idea when I did it in June 2017. But now everyone in Shenzhen has caught on, and is sitting on stock of HLG clones, ready to sell. I would rather put my effort into designing something that you can't get from China (yet).

• Like 1

Still aiming at the cannabis community, but a bit more next-level.   QBs are great, but the Chinese are all over that bandwagon now.  

Sure...   I think you misread. I was saying that a new production run of QBs wouldn't be a good idea now. It was a good idea when I did it in June 2017. But now everyone in Shenzhen has caught on, and is sitting on stock of HLG clones, ready to sell. I would rather put my effort into designing something that you can't get from China (yet).

Everyone is cloning everyone, if you can get a product at a fraction of the price and its genuine products then go for it.  Unless you are an photonics engineer, by the time you've come out with something china has already done it 10 fold over. Personally the lights themselves are very easy to construct (I've done a few builds myself), I am busy building a new project which is entirely automated (light wise), but at a fraction of the cost in terms of components, using custom coded firmware (by me).  Fabrication and design is where is at, the actually light source is so saturated with options now, If i was going back to the drawing board i'd design a unit which is easily expandable similar to the fluence rails.

• Like 1

You mind if I split this post into a relevant topic under the LED lighting section guys?

You welcome to move it.

I've done some more reading on the SANlight and their optic lenses is really cool as it doesn't create shade. I hear those lights can easily last you 10 years plus. Just the damn price

You mind if I split this post into a relevant topic under the LED lighting section guys?

You welcome to move it.

I've done some more reading on the SANlight and their optic lenses is really cool as it doesn't create shade. I hear those lights can easily last you 10 years plus. Just the damn price

Buy it!!

You welcome to move it.

Which one are you looking at?

For the price of this model : https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/sanlight-p4w-led/

I'd rather just go for a fluence ray 44, I have two on the way from the states.

Looking at the S2W or Q series but they don't have stock of Q series yet.

I have a Secret Jardin DR90 tent it's only 90cmx90cm so I'm limited in options due to the size of some lights like fluence

Two of these in that would be perfect https://fluence.science/store/ray-series-led-grow-lights/ray22/ - 370 $.

That's the problem with half these stores in SA, they advertise stuff but never have products. I've resorted to actually just importing all my grow stuff, local stuff is just so sub-par. Hydro shops still punting shitty burple leds for 10k lol.