Can a cannabis seedling with broad leaves grow to have thinner leaves?

__DANNY__H__

Howzit everyone

So I chucked some seeds I dug out of my smoking box into little cups a while ago and threw them under a 11W light with an 18/6 schedule, just for the hell of it. Not actually expecting to flower these, I just wanted some plants to oogle at every now and again.

Anyway, one of the seedlings has got very broad leaves. The length/width ratio is nearly twice that of its siblings. Will it eventually grow out of this? Seems like it might just be a random happening. Also, is it a fairly common occurence for ZA bagseed to have fairly broad leaves? I've seen some pics of swazi on this forum that have moderately broad leaves when compared to say, Thai strains.

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: attached a picture for the hell of it. This pic was taken a little while ago. The one behind it has grown into slightly thinner leaves, while this one in the foreground has maintained the ratio on the developed leaves and the young leaves appear to be filling out into the same broad shape.

is_this_typical_of_local_genetics.thumb.jpg.5aa734a37bb3736a76039c41aae99766.jpg

Sup DannyK any idea what strain you were smoking when you found those seeds? Cos I believe some strains are known to morph, and I doubt there's any such thing as local genetics. If you were smoking weed bought of a foreigner then most likely Malawi...much Guess work

Howzit everyone

So I chucked some seeds I dug out of my smoking box into little cups a while ago and threw them under a 11W light with an 18/6 schedule, just for the hell of it. Not actually expecting to flower these, I just wanted some plants to oogle at every now and again.

Anyway, one of the seedlings has got very broad leaves. The length/width ratio is nearly twice that of its siblings. Will it eventually grow out of this? Seems like it might just be a random happening. Also, is it a fairly common occurence for ZA bagseed to have fairly broad leaves? I've seen some pics of swazi on this forum that have moderately broad leaves when compared to say, Thai strains.

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: attached a picture for the hell of it. This pic was taken a little while ago. The one behind it has grown into slightly thinner leaves, while this one in the foreground has maintained the ratio on the developed leaves and the young leaves appear to be filling out into the same broad shape.

Awe Danny. I've found on my last grow my leaves were broad. Some okes said i was sold an indica dominant seed instead of what I actually ordered. But the leaves thinned out. If it's going from broad to a narrower leaf, i think that means it could be a hybrid? I don't know. This is my theory. It'll show later.

There's nothing wrong with that plant. It's just exhibiting its indica lineage early in the plants life and the leaves may thin out the more the plant grows. It's quite common for some hybrids to start off looking like an indica and end up looking like a sativa in flower.

Our local genetics, mostly from Swaziland, have been heavily tainted with the genetics from Holland and Europe. It's becoming more prominent year by year.  That's why you're seeing indica in that plant

A small update, for anyone curious:

I gave the plant to a friend of mine, they stuck it outdoors a couple days ago. It's grown quite significantly, really shows how big of a difference there is between an 11W CFL and the sun, hahaha!

The leaves are still much broader than its siblings, but they are nowhere near as fat as they were. My intuition agrees with what Green Leaf Organics said. When the plants are so small, they aren't really going to be showing traits that necessarily continue into adulthood.

fattie_update.thumb.jpg.e3e605f64faf91d488fdf7227f5bba56.jpg

• 1 month later...