Led grow lights.. And my first grow

Double R

Yo my fellow growers, new to the forum. Thought i create a new thread regarding led lighting and also share with you all my journey on my first indoor grow. Peeps feel welcomed to advise me where you can. I appreciate every single one of you. Grow your own and grow in peace. Im coming to a week off so i would really like to place an order for a decent grow light. Heres a few pics of my indica strain.34d96f74187a58d891338958d37aac88.jpg0d893f876664a5e447f0e2712a0c8f41.jpg7837ba4b0a1606200f787fe2b7f678ed.jpg1a75a8330860991250238a9a5e32ad88.jpg

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copypasta as requested:

@DoubleR perhaps make a new thread if you're looking for more info; Mars and [most of] the rest use those Epistar diodes. Regardless of what brand it is, it is essentially the same fixture. Potentially different drivers, but the drive currents are likely similar. Most of their stats can be thrown away, perhaps there are some with legitimate data, but it's unlikely. 

Need to look at the actual wattage draw, which even then is often not what you get. Marketed 200W draw, may pull only 150W and some of that is lost to driver heat etc.

There is no PPF data anywhere, as far as I know, nor data on efficiency for the Epistar diode lights. I think Growmau5 once hypothesized 0.9 umol/j which is really bad, HID blows it out the water, CFL/T5 comparable. This is why "old fart HPS users" have not bought into LEDs over the years and only now with more quality fixtures are actually considering it. 

Reputable COBs (Cree, Vero, Citizen) are the way to go for LEDs, or quantum board type tech have higher efficiency and much better heat dissipation, but really expenny and still quite new.

There's pretty much only one supplier in SA, Make Light, lots of kits internationally, Rapid Led, Timber grow lights, Chilled, Pacific light concepts, Cutter electronics, etc.

TL;DR: you will get better penetration with Mars, etc. than CFL / T5, but the efficiency is so bad, wattage is much better spent on HID and very arguably CFL / T5 in a SOG or SCROG setup. If you want LEDs, go by PPF, be wary of lux and PAR wattage claims on Mars et al, they are very misleading.

----

Quantum boards using the Samsung S5 and S6 diodes and there are fixtures with the Cree (XP2 I think?) diodes. Not sure what the larger higher end lights like Spydr etc. are using, but they're still less efficient than the QBs. Would be remiss not to mention the Sanlight fixtures which have been featured on forum, and on paper look comparable to the QBs.

COBs are a bit crazy, but really really effective.

-----

There's also some limited details in this thread, with other COB users who've posted

https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php/topic,1263.0.html

Plant is looking very healthy i must say!

If you can give me some insight on your on your soil composition, nutrients you use and feeding/watering schedule it would be much appreciated.

Awe Pineapple Cookie Kush[/member]. You need to introduce yourself boet. Check the forum rules. Shot

Woops! 29 Year old accountant from JHB! I like long walks on the beach, petting my dog, chocolate milkshakes and growing some dank weed. And i golf too!

Bought a shit ton of seeds from Green Smoke room and Bobby Greenhash this past week. Id like to start my grow off on a good note and that plant looks very healthy. Hence my interest!

Any insight into your magic would be greatly appreciated.

Woops! 29 Year old accountant from JHB! I like long walks on the beach, petting my dog, chocolate milkshakes and growing some dank weed. And i golf too!

Bought a shit ton of seeds from Green Smoke room and Bobby Greenhash this past week. Id like to start my grow off on a good note and that plant looks very healthy. Hence my interest!

Any insight into your magic would be greatly appreciated.

Howsit PCK? U interested in knowing what all is in my soil..?

Yo PCK..i can help you out no probs..as far as taking long walks on the beach in jhb i cant help you with that my friend..

Organic soil(potting mix)

Peat moss

Super Phosphate

When she was a baby girl i surrounded her with organic soil and peat moss with a dash of phosphate and a dose of seaweed extract.. I then transplanted her into the same mix just adding vermiculite.. And then transplanted again into the same mix just adding perlite..all my first feeds are done till theres drainage.. I ph the drainage.. I grow at an acidic 5.5-5.8ph...i feed at different ph's..i first feed 5.8 then ill give her just water at abt 7ph..i mix it up..not to allow it to become to acid..

• 2 weeks later...

Yo my fellow G's. I promised you peeps i would post photos of my baby girl when she just an infant. I tried looking for the rules on when you update your grow log and i cant seem to find it. Anyway. Heres the first picture that was taken of her. 28th of June 7513161831c944b35711b42729aa3963.jpg

Please let me know if you guys can open these pictures.

Then a week later (actually 8 days) i took another photo of her. 03a832c5aaada4cfb57a7f8219fe54e8.jpg

Just to add some info. Grow medium is organic soil mixed with palm peat and vermiculite. No perlite has been added yet. Sea weed extract was the nutrient used.

I was told it is a Swazi Gold. Im not sure, its definitely Indica. Grow space is a 1x1m grow tent. The light is a 20 watt LED at a colour temperature of 6000-6500k. My apologies for using the word Spectrum in one my earlier posts to refer to the colour temperature.

Thanks Zairek,i didnt add those ammendments because the palm peat with soil had good drainage. Vermiculite holds moisture so you dont also want to hold to much moisture with a small plant. That was my logic when i thought about it. Yes unfortunately it is the LED,i only came across the forum after i took photos so next time ill take it in natural light. Thinking of getting a cmh light.

Thanks Zairek,i didnt add those ammendments because the palm peat with soil had good drainage. Vermiculite holds moisture so you dont also want to hold to much moisture with a small plant. That was my logic when i thought about it. Yes unfortunately it is the LED,i only came across the forum after i took photos so next time ill take it in natural light. Thinking of getting a cmh light.

CMH is a chunk of money all at once and Cobs and Quantum boards are modular so it can be added to as the budget allows. Just a thought

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk