Opinions please

Brown-dawg

Guest Arcz

I dont have experience with the light in the 1st pic, But Im sure that the 85W in the second pic would be sufficient if its Sprouts only

How big is the Cab that you are planning to use this in? and whats the Dimensions of that Light?

Hey there Brown Dawg

My personal opinion i would just go with CFL they have always worked for me in the past, My veg room is rather large so i clone using my 250w Metal Halide light. But the clones are about 60cm to 80cm away from light and sometimes shaded a little from the other larger plants, but back in the day i used like 2 14w cfls and they worked like a bomb. I personally would stick with CFL's hey. You could use that 85 watter but just place your plants a little further away.

I'd suggest going for the CFL but doing it a little differently. The main issue with CFL's is their penetration which means you have to keep the plants close to the light if you want maximum effect so what I'd suggest is breaking up the wattage and spreading it out i.e. get 2 x 45w bulbs instead of an 85w. Or even 3 if you can and build a light rig with them

I'd suggest going for the CFL but doing it a little differently. The main issue with CFL's is their penetration which means you have to keep the plants close to the light if you want maximum effect so what I'd suggest is breaking up the wattage and spreading it out i.e. get 2 x 45w bulbs instead of an 85w. Or even 3 if you can and build a light rig with them

Just my 2 cents but its for a propagation/ sprouting cabinet so penetration at this point wont be an issue, when the plants are into full veg then yes i would agree with this as penetration is key, but with it being a propagaion sprouting cabinet the 1 should be fine. lol i feel bad now 

Just my 2 cents but its for a propagation/ sprouting cabinet so penetration at this point wont be an issue, when the plants are into full veg then yes i would agree with this as penetration is key, but with it being a propagaion sprouting cabinet the 1 should be fine. lol i feel bad now

Good point. If its purely just for sprouting then yes the 1 will be fine, but if he wants to grow the seedlings in that cab for a week or 2 then I'd suggest more spread would be needed as the seedlings would stretch, hence why they use those long tube CFL's

Depends how many seedlings I guess

Awe guys

Get the CFL's. But if you can, get e27's. They fit perfecting into 40mm PVC T joints, you can make it look pretty awesome and they will also swivel somewhat.

As @Thatoneguy said, ger 6500k or closest to that. 2700k is for flowering. I did a complete grow with CFL's. Not the best idea, but they work pretty awesome from a clone box.

I dont have experience with the light in the 1st pic, But Im sure that the 85W in the second pic would be sufficient if its Sprouts only

How big is the Cab that you are planning to use this in? and whats the Dimensions of that Light?

Hi @Arcz

Still designing it..... a little obsessive and research mad at the moment

So this is what the cabinet looks like.

c3b9e58463a70e48b1e39486a6cd743a.jpg

And here is a reading from my phone lux meter

5630658468d8c43a21c22c7bf0d0ee25.jpg

1x 70w halogen 3x 20 CFL all are 2700k bulbs, main light is 105w T5 spiral CFL. Passive inflow. 40w extractor in ceiling with fan controls to adjust speed.