Medical Cannanbis working commitee

Toby

Hi All,

I need the community's input.

I am actively engaging with the cannabis working committee working on the framework for the legislation and regulation of cannabis in SA.

In my capacity I am representing the micro to medium business wishing to contribute to the industry. I have raised numerous questions that they will take into consideration in developing economical viable, sustainable and would contribute to the smaller business development.  We know big pharma will kill us all in signing of the cheque.

They took heed of my points and suggested that I present a list of concern and questions that they will present during their think tank. Its happening in the next couple of weeks. They eyeing to present proposal to the public in April 2017.  I joked expressing my delight in suggesting to make it on the 20 April 2017. 420 rules. They actually laughed and mentioned that it would be poetic in a way.

My request from all the members that can contribute positively. Please list your questions and concern below. If we can have a say in plant we all love and share openly without feeling like criminals, we must take the opportunity and raise our voices.

I appreciate all input.

:-peace

The framework is being developed. They currently looking at international models and see how they can apply it to SA. For the end user who wish to treat their own ailments will surely be part of the bigger intention. The issue comes in where regulation is concerned, to ensure a consistent standard is being maintained especially if there are patients using it prescribed my a medical practitioner. 

At the moment everything is up in the air and if we can have say, we should. :-2cents

I hear what you are saying. My point is who is going to set what standard and whats the buy in. Having to buy a license(which will probably be payable monthly) just sounds like a pre arranged monthly admission of guilt fine for growing. All this regulation and quality standards control is also going to cost money. Actually the framework will cost money to implement and maintain. All of which will transfer into ridiculous cannabis prices. I can just see our proudly south african version now. Another runaway gravy train the average joe is all paying for.

I feel very strongly about cannabis being as benine as any other plant, and it should be freed, not tied up in even more law. But thats just my opinion and I suppose not in the spirit of this thread, so back to my pedistal.

I get what you are saying and I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately we not living a perfect world. Where we are currently its a step in the right direction IMO. 

I am being very positive about the whole process but not ignorant to the fact of the potential exploitation. In all industries there stringent regulations in place to ensure safety to the end user (at least in most cases).

Call me Charlie, if I need to jump through hoops and rap me up in red tape if need be, just trying to be proactive where I can given the situation.

Dont get me wrong, its great it is opening up where it is, I am afriad its not a step in the right direction at all. As soon as regulation gets capital investment, then that regulation becomes the very tool that big pharma and other stakeholders can use to fight for keeping it there and not just releasing it as it should so I couldn't add anything to proposed regulation as I do see it as the law makers wanting to add more injustice to an already unjust law. I couldn't with any good conscious thought assist in helping these law makers close the door on me the average joe.

I dont do the hoop jumping thing. Im rather anti establishment and anti regulation, and the reclassifying of cannabis from schedule 7 to 6 is the only positive I currently see. Just that already makes growing your own less dangerous.

Again, I keep coming back to cost. I can see the framework largely failing, since it is the high cost of good cannabis that sparks 90% of growers to start growing. Legal cannabis is going to cost more than what it currently costs. South Africa is a mostly really poor country, and this will ultimately collapse the framework, as more and more people will disregard the law and grow their own or continue to buy that kg of outdoor from the oke doing his thing on the side.

I understand where you coming from bud, the commercial aspect to it, the way the world works currently. The war against the herb has been going on for generations, but in recent times things have been moving forward positively. The awareness is out there and stigma attached to it is becoming irrelevant. You dont have to go to jail for plants.

Things in SA move at its own pace with it own set of obstacles. In my personal capacity I cant change things but as movement we can, however the medium presents itself. I might not agree with the status quo but if there is an opportunity to change things I will participate.

Irrespective of regulation and how it all pans out at the end of the day, growers will grow, smokers will smoke, :-puffpass

As mentioned, I think the obvious concern on all our minds will be whether big pharma runs away with this from the get go. I really hope I'm wrong but I can see our government selling out faster than you can say Zupta

I think its gonna be really hard for one man micro businesses to claim a stake in such an industry but I would like to see something along the lines of what they have in the states.... dispensaries that grow their own bud and sell it to their patients, properly regulated of course seeing as that's something we won't get away from, but they must be independent. So basically I'd like to know if a dispensary system is on the cards or not?

What will be their criteria for anyone applying to cultivate cannabis for the medical industry?

How does one disclose their experience cultivating cannabis without the risk of ending up behind bars?

Thanks guys, the questions you guys are posing are the purpose of this post. I want to address all potential scenarios.

They currently working on the framework so all questions are currently unanswered. If Medical Control Council (MCC) following suite of international models then we should have an idea in direction they heading?

Ill submit all my queries and concerns to the MCC, should they use the input great if not, I have tried.

From an economic point of view, if there 's a demand, an equal supply is required. If there are authorized suppliers* identified, surely they would need to grow in order to supply. How they grow and for intention would be irrelevant to the supply quota. I feel you would be able to grow but wont be considered an authorized supplier, IMO.

authorized suppliers* - Meeting governing board standards like a SABS authority. :-2cents

I hear what you are saying. My point is who is going to set what standard and whats the buy in. Having to buy a license(which will probably be payable monthly) just sounds like a pre arranged monthly admission of guilt fine for growing. All this regulation and quality standards control is also going to cost money. Actually the framework will cost money to implement and maintain. All of which will transfer into ridiculous cannabis prices. I can just see our proudly south african version now. Another runaway gravy train the average joe is all paying for.

I feel very strongly about cannabis being as benine as any other plant, and it should be freed, not tied up in even more law. But thats just my opinion and I suppose not in the spirit of this thread, so back to my pedistal.

I agree 100%

fly high

Great respect for your standpoint Totemic, as it mirrors my own. Round and round we will go until we realize, that until the PLANT is freed, the status quo will remain: the law will prohibit us from growing, and we will grow anyway.

Capitalism and government have their strengths, but don't stand a chance against a seed in fertile soil.

We need to bear in mind that buy-in from the Powers That Be (TPB - Government and the Medical Fraternity) will only happen if they see financial gain and control for themselves. Why must they deprive themselves of the Admission of guilt fine or Chemotherapy Drugs that we willing pay?  Unfortunately in our times liberties and freedoms come at a price, firstly, the TPB are not too keen to view the herb as medicine, as this nullifies the application of a lucrative sin tax. So, yes there will be license fees, taxes and quotas, realities that we will have to accept, opposing this reality in the current political and economic context is futile. Believing that any Government cares about your freedom, health and well being is naive. If they did then we wouldn't be facing this global sanctioning of a medicinal herb with huge commercial utility.

We, as champions of the plant, need to bear in mind undoing of decades of misinformation and misrepresentation of this plant will not happen over night, damn even my Dad and people in my religious circles have their reservations and misconceptions. The bible makes reference to the plant as Kannabosm, a point which I made to a family member suffering with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, in an effort to coax her into considering Hash oil. So naturally, a more conservative, step-wise, methodical approach is necessary to remove this painful stigma surrounding the plant.  

To hopefully respond to Toby, as Champions of the herb, we need to accept that with the paucity of medical research in SA, that the only way to someday convince the Powers that be that the herb is benign and should be revered and valued for all its properties, is by us the growers behaving and acting responsibly, similar to the Hippocratic oath that doctors take. Traditional healing in our country has a bad rep, cases in point, botched circumcisions, praying and spraying of Doom, Dr. Azanias sex potions etc.... Unskilled, unethical and Greedy so called Healers preying on desperate people's hope for help.

We do not want to be seen in such light, as purveyors of snake oil, we will therefore have to accept the initial close scrutiny by Government and the Medical Fraternity, we will need to be transparent and agree to declare the details and records of the persons we treat, we have to accept that herbs recreational qualities are a risk to the youth who tend to abuse any pleasant substance. We will need to accept that like any medicine, there are indications, side effects and contraindications. We need to be responsible basically, imagine a pregnant or lactating woman wanting to consume the oil. Are we prepared to advise? Are we prepared to face litigation should a patient experience ill effects?      

Transparency, Responsibility, Accountability and willingness to cooperate with the Medical control bodies, to research the herbs effect on disease and work toward building a sound empirical body of knowledge that will hopefully remove the stigma attached to this heavenly plant.  

• 2 weeks later...