High Court Dagga Trial - Updates

420SA

As some of you will already be aware, David Acton of the Dagga Party, Gareth Pince, and another 18 individuals are currently in the Western Cape High Court right now challenging SA's cannabis laws. They've been in there since Tuesday the 13th and I'm happy to say things are going quite well.

I'll be updating this thread with the latest news on the case. Feel free to share any other news or your views

Holding greenthumbs :-meditate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Government Evidence Weak in Legal Dagga Court Case - Below The Lion

https://btl.co.za/evidence-weak-legal-dagga-court-case/

Still awaiting the verdict from the panel. Hoping this comes in early Feb, but may take as long as March.

Some interesting info is that one of the lawyers on the panel, used to be a human rights lawyer who defended Prince in court when he was first arrested and charged with possession (think it was maybe 1 plant they found in his garden). This to me highlights something very positive. That and the fact the state brought absolutely nothing to the table to justify why the plant must remain illegal is possibly the nail in coffin we needed.

I would be very surprised if the state, or any applicant in the matter would be able to provide anything scientific or medically confirmed that could hinder this. The only thing keeping it illegal is the fact there is an archaic law, which was not put in place because of health related reasons. The fact some scientists/doctors still refer to this to back up their opinion shows how ignorant some of them are. Possible interests in pharmaceutical companies.

Anyway, things are changing, the world is changing, and governments can only drag their feet for so long before something needs to be done. Unfortunately its going to go down to the constitutional court, and no doubt the state will appeal etc etc. The fact that the schedule moved from 7 to 6 highlights a shift in thinking, and confirms theres medical benefits, which should play right into our hands when it comes down to self medication being a human right.

Government Evidence Weak in Legal Dagga Court Case - Below The Lion

https://btl.co.za/evidence-weak-legal-dagga-court-case/

Some interesting info is that one of the lawyers on the panel, used to be a human rights lawyer who defended Prince in court when he was first arrested and charged with possession (think it was maybe 1 plant they found in his garden). This to me highlights something very positive. That and the fact the state brought absolutely nothing to the table to justify why the plant must remain illegal is possibly the nail in coffin we needed.

As swazigh pointed out in his post abov e. Judge Dennis Davis is one of the judges in this case and judging by the discussion on Judge Davis' show and by the questions judge davis asked in court. He seems to be leaning on the side of legalisation. Decriminalization at least...

Here's the other two parts from that discussion

• 2 months later...

This is excellent news. 

I've been smoking for close to 30 years and have learner to keep it quite and under wraps. This is just weird thinking that I'm allowed to smoke at home and grow my own.

Could you imagine what nice Cannabis Cups we can now have, or maybe a forum cup, imagine 420 Day. Man o man, what a day to remember. Hope it holds positive things for us all.

There is people phoning me with the good news, people that don't even use it, they are very happy for the news.

I think the people who is really going to benefit from this is going to be the cancer patients and medical users. We'll just be happier more of the time.